DIY Box Filter Help

SilverBlade86

Have a look at the stem on an undergravel filter or a box fiter. Each has a tube with air bubbles rising up it. It is the water that is rising between the bubbles that makes it work not the bubbles themselves. You need a tube to carry a rising column of water not air bubbles to make it work. The air bubbles are a way of removing some of the water from the bottom of the filter so the tank water flows through the filter to replace it (and is filtered as it does)

• 1 year later...

Just to bump this thread up a few years. I'm looking at building one of these myself, and found it easier to understand a diagram rather than photos of a build process I've been looking at.

So I've edited the pictures according your posted specs - note the air stone is inside a tube. Is either of these correct? or does the bottom end need to be completely sealed up, so no holes are drilled.

Should the tube with the air stone inside be sealed either end?

and my main question, WILL IT WORK?

HALP.

filter1.jpg

filter2.jpg

The first Pic would work but has a lot of un-nessary bits, the second wont work.

All you need is the tube and the sponge, if you put holes in the side of the tube where it is in the sponge it will suck water more evenly through the sponge. The longer you make the tube the better it will draw (suck) the water.

Pic two would work if you didn't have the holes in the bottom.

The air stone doesn't need to be a tight fit in the tube as shown

I made 15 of these for my killie tanks they work very well

i made them from glass they are 5cm x 5cm x 12cm tall i drilled lots of little holes at the bottom 4cm of a 13cm long 20mm pvc pipe then put that in the glass box then put stone/gravel in up to 5cm, then filled it up with filter wool stuck and airstone down to the bottom of the pvc pipe put it in the tank turned the air pump on and away it went.

i could see things that were floating around in the tanks being sucked down onto the filter wool. It does a great job IMO

see diagram :)

HTH

filter2.jpg

• 9 months later...
I made 15 of these for my killie tanks they work very well

i made them from glass they are 5cm x 5cm x 12cm tall i drilled lots of little holes at the bottom 4cm of a 13cm long 20mm pvc pipe then put that in the glass box then put stone/gravel in up to 5cm, then filled it up with filter wool stuck and airstone down to the bottom of the pvc pipe put it in the tank turned the air pump on and away it went.

i could see things that were floating around in the tanks being sucked down onto the filter wool. It does a great job IMO

see diagram :)

HTH

filter2.jpg

It also looks like it would be easy to clean, and you could see when it needs a change. I like this idea. How much did it cost you?