water lillies

obie trice

When I say "I" I mean my dad divided up my plants while mum and I had a cuppa 8)

Rinse the plant gently in cold water to remove excess mud etc. Don't let the plant dry out while you work on it.

You can slice or break off the 'eyes' on the discarded rootstock to propagate more plants.

Cut the rootstock with a sharp knife. This severs the new growth and creates a fresh palnt. Remove the long anchor roots from the new plant, making a clean cut close to the crown. Leave the smaller roots intatc.

Removing the old roots encourages the plant to grow new, stronger, ones and will stop the old roots rotting and infecting the crown.

Trim any leaves from the top of the plant.

Carefully place the newly prepared crown on a perforated container with peat.

Add a layer of small stones or gravel on top to stop the peat from floating free when the container is submerged.

I don't know about Wright's postal service as I've never used it.

Nothing like going and seeing the real thing tho.

I have done two trips there and plan another this year.

Follow out the Glenbrooke Rd to their establishment and you will not be disappointed, correct time of the year of course.

Take a lunch and a drink, and good walking shoes, as it's not just a small outfit, more like a waterfarm.

We got a Lotus last time there and it only cost $28. It was so big that it had to be put into a rubbish bag and the leaves still came out of the top, it was so heavy, it had to be wheeled in a wheel-barrow to the car, and to get it into the boot, lying down, some of the leaves and stems had to be bent over.

If you are able to, I'd thoroughly recommend to go, view, note the ones you like and how they are growing, then purchase.

Then sit down in their cafe over looking the ponds and admire.

From my experience, you won't be disappointed.

Alan 104