i am totally gutted!

JDM

i got home from work today and looked into my tank, to find my anemone eating my regal angle! yes that's correct, it was half way out its mouth!, my maroon clown was hiding behind the anemone looking very shy! i wasn't sure weather to try to remove my favorite fish from the mouth (it was well dead) as i didn't want to damage the anemone, after looking at it for a few minutes i couldn't take it any longer and decided to remove it, to my surprise it was easy to remove from the mouth but the tentacles were holding onto it very firmly, i decided to let it keep it and see what happened, after 15min or so it let go of the regal angle and i removed him from the tank.

here is a link to a picture i took just prior to removing him from the anemone's mouth, i have left it as a link as it is graphic and may offend some people, you have been warned!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/jdm_2006_2006/IMG_0275.jpg

i believe this is the most horrible thing i have witnessed in my tank over the last 2 years, i am gutted!

however, i would like to learn from this experience so at least something good can come of it.

do you think the fish would have to have been dead to be caught by the anemone? (it looked happy as only 10hrs before)

the sting on the anemone is defiantly stronger than it was a while ago (i can feel it through my hand) is this a sign that i am not feeding it enough?

i guess this is a relatively normal thing for anemones to do, as they would use fish as a source of food in the wild, how can we prevent such tragedies in the future?

I would be gutted as well JDM. I couldnt say for sure if the fish would have to be dead before the anemone got it. But according to my daughter who is looking after my tank at the moment my copperband was found dead the next morning when he was feeding fine the night before. So the fish could have died over night.

:(:(:(

I have four Anemones and have never seen this.

If it had died first and was floating around your clown would have taken it to the anemone.

I have had two fish die for no reason I could see lately, I found one so it wasn't taken by the anemone.

I guess it could happen but all my fish know not to go in the anemone.

So sorry you lost your best fish I know what it feels like :(

the sting on the anemone is defiantly stronger than it was a while ago (i can feel it through my hand) is this a sign that i am not feeding it enough?

No, just means your anemone is getting healthier. Healthy anemones have more stinging cells than unhealth ones and are a lot more sticky.

I have seen a male clarki clown grab and drag another fish (new to the tank but no where near the anemone), letting it go centimetres away from the anemone. If I had still had the female who was twice his size and VERY aggressive, that fish would have been toast.

No the fish would not be dead. Anemones eat fish, this is no seceret.

I remember watching an Anemone eat my Lionfish a few years ago, that was a heart breaker.

Anemones are sticky, the fish gets caugh, flinches and makes things worse for itself, gets more and more stuck, stung, gone.

Pie

Sorry to hear that.

This is something I expect in my tank. I am just waiting for the day.

I have a Condy, one of the stickiest anemones around. It is big and my fish swim dangerously close. It is nature and only a matter of time.

In fact I have just lost one of my large Pink skunk clowns. I found him dead on the bottom not far from the Condy. He may have been stung.

If you want an evil anemone buy the fluro green carpet. It looks out of this world it even had me memorised.It could make wave patterns in its neon green stingers which look so cool. I had to put a platic bag on my hand to touch it as it was more sticky than super glue and man can it eat you fish. I watched it try and eat my purple tang when it was swiming past. I was sure it had eyes. 8)

I'm shocked.... but that is nature. Sorry for the loss I would be a little mad but what can you do? We all love the clown- anemone relashionship and many try and try to have this. Your anemone loves it home and wanted a good feed.

Hope it doesn't have the taste for fresh fish :o whats next?