Tropical Power Usage

smidey

Heres a positive look at a popular topic from the saltwater area, does anyone know how little money it costs for power to run a 150-200L freshwater tropical tank? the marine guys are talking around $600 a month! I only noticed around $20 a month for mine, any one agree or disagree?

Smidey

I would agree with that easily.

The reason that they have more is because they have much bigger tanks, much bigger/more lighting, much more equipment and much more other stuff.....

All a 150L freshwater tank realy NEEDS is a heater and a filter, and if its planted then lights... Nothing to the scale of the saltys IMO

some of their lights are multiple 250W etc each so that would up the cost a bit id imagine. your average filter only uses around 20W, and your heater isnt on all the time so its not using too much. most of the freshwater stuff is very low wattage and unless youve got multiple set ups you wont often notice an increase unless you have the tank in a really cold place and the heater is on all the time.

its pretty easy to work out how much your tank would be costing you, just find out how much your charged per kilowatt (i think thats it) and then work out how much power your using and how long each piece is on for. can be a bit tricky for heaters though.

im running about 900L worth of tropical tanks at the mo, its quite a lot of equipment but only seems to cost me around 30 bucks in winter for the lot. i would estimate the total watts of my equip to be around the 1500 mark

im running about 900L worth of tropical tanks at the mo, its quite a lot of equipment but only seems to cost me around 30 bucks in winter for the lot. i would estimate the total watts of my equip to be around the 1500 mark

yeah some of the marine tanks the light along is around 1200Watt.

I dont think the 600 dollars is just for the tank power bill. My bill has gone up about 50$ a month since setting up a marine tank. What i have noticed is when i use to get the bill for electricty every second month it was about the same as what i am now paying monthly. Good old price increases.

how do you work it out? are the watts of the item count how many watts they use an hour? so a 300watt heater uses 300watts per hour? then a kilowatt is a 100watts?

i'm paying 22c KWh and this is what i worked out my tanks are running

3 X 300watt heaters on 24 hours

232watt light on 10 hours a day

48watt light on 14 hours a day

40watt light on 14 hours a day

20watt Eheim 2028 filter on 24 hours

48watt Fluval Fx5 filter on 24 hours

15watt Fluval 304 filter on 24 hours

Based on freshwater only, at a temperature of 22˚C, total consumption for a small tank (38L) is about 150kWh a year. A medium tank (114L) 150 - 200 kWh per year and a large aquarium (208L) 200 - 400kWh per year. This is using basic equipment only and merely an average to give you an idea. Exact usage requires an ampmeter, which measures actual energy used and not the energy based on the max output, as some equipment does not run full time (eg heater).

watts/1000 x hours x kWh cost x 30 = 30 days cost of aquarium

The guys with 600+ power bills are usually running remote sumps under the house or in basements plus this is their total power bill so who knows what else they are running. I helped break down a marine tank owned by a local doctor, his power bill was around $2000 a month!!!! But he had 3 teenage kids a lit outdoor tennis court and large heated outdoor swimming pool.

My marine tank is around 800l and my monthly power bill is around $220, this includes water heating but not heating the house. I have around 800w of light and another 300-400w of other gear running. It sound like a lot but when you consider a fan heater uses 2000w or so, and lots of people run them all evening its not so bad.

Are those thermofilters a good way to save power? My tank is about 250-300L whaich i'm in the process of setting up, want a new filter anyway (or off trademe :D ) And was thinking that say 50watts or so (If thats their power consumption) is better on all the time than a 300W heater and a 15-20W filter. Whats your view on this? Anyone had experience with them? :wink:

Haven't used the thermoheater but regardless of how you heat any volume of water to a set tempurature, its going to use the same amount of energy. IMO, an element emersed in the tank itself is about as efficient as you can get. Good insulation around the tank to prevent losses is probably the best cost saving measure, unless you can come up with a solar system that doesn't cost the earth to build. :-?

One idea I was thinking of is that since we will be going solar sometime soon for hot water was to make a heat exchanger for hot tap water and aquarium water which was thermostatically operated. With the tank only using about $40-50 a month (worst case in winter) in power for heating the payback time would make that largly unviable since in winter the solar hotwater cant keep up and you use the electric boost element anyway.