huge power bills

splendidus

That must be the millionth thread this year with that title :D

Yip the price of electricity is unnecessarily high, that's what you get when the government does it's best to make it expensive, and more or less impossible to get stuff through RMA. Not to mention archaic policies on nuclear energy.

To be fair, there is no search function, so how would he know?

I'm thinking how many times I've had to listen to, for example, durso versus standpipe arguments, or weird theories about iron. I DO understand pain! :lol: .

So why shouldn't this guy ask one time? We could at times be a bit more welcoming :-?.

I take my hat off to all you guys & girls that have marine tanks, the time etc to set them up then the endless $$$ that your spending to maintain & run them. I have a freshwater tropical setup that clearly does not have the same running costs. I guess its like anything in this world, if it brings alot of pleasure it generally will cost alot. You also do have the ultimate in fish keeping setups though so keep that in mind. i'm a petrol head so I liken it to me having a Holden & you having a Ferrari.

Smidey

Well I got sick of our growing power bill caused by our lighting system. So I decided to modify my light. I took my 3’ Aqua One (over an AR850) with 2x150w MH + 4x18w F (small by most standards) and added 3 digital timers (internally) to it so I could stagger the way the lights came on. I know that not everybody has access or knowledge to perform this, but the effect on our power bill was for us, significant. The whole thing cost me $40 in parts and is saving me more than that a month in power. I am happy. And besides, I concur with some of the other arguments, there are some prices us marine keepers just have to bare. And for the hell of the argument, bring on the nukes.

yeah, perhaps. i do apologise :oops: just got a short wick at the moment, stressed out at work, both kids sick, weather crap, tank p@#$ing me off... all adds up :(

eh, im gonna head down to the garage and build a dog house, power tools YEAH! frustration released!

http://www.centameter.co.nz/

you could use this to check tank power usage

yeah i got one of those, but for the house. to check just the tank is difficult as the transmitter clamps over the phase wire. unless you have your tank on a dedicated circuit and can get access to that rcd's phase wire, its pretty hard. you can turn everything else off though and check it :D highly recommend the centameter though, very cool device.