Is this Cyno?

Duke

I am assuming this is Cyno?

Not red but green, I vacuum it up when I do water changes but back it comes. Any ideas?

I dose the following for 900l

9 x drops Pohl's each day

3 drops 3 x week amoniacid

1 x vile bioclean weekly

2 x biotim weekly

Any help would be appriciated.

DSC00225Small.jpg

DSC00224Small.jpg

DSC00124Small.jpg

:cry: '>

:cry:

I am assuming this is Cyno?

Not red but green, I vacuum it up when I do water changes but back it comes. Any ideas?

you're trying to fix the problem by removing the cyano, you need to concentrate on removing the source of the problem. cyano is caused by a build up of nutrients, poor lighting and water flow can also assist it grow. also cut back on your dosing.

as i just posted on another thread, read this, good overview...

http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php?na ... le&sid=109

you're trying to fix the problem by removing the cyano, you need to concentrate on removing the source of the problem. cyano is caused by a build up of nutrients, poor lighting and water flow can also assist it grow. also cut back on your dosing.

as i just posted on another thread, read this, good overview...

http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php?na ... le&sid=109

Its easy to say that Chimera, but what if your already doing all that!!

and that links ok, but they are selling a product.

Its easy to say that Chimera, but what if your already doing all that!!

Then you're obviously not doing it well enough

and that links ok, but they are selling a product

so have you actually read the site? they explain why you get cyano - irrelevant of whether they are selling the product. don't use their product, just read everything prior to the "fix" so you understand why it's caused. here's a couple more cyano articles i post regularly when this subject comes up, both listed under reference links sticky at the top of the saltwater section.

http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/r ... teria.html

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquarium ... ld_eng.htm

Duke asked...

Not red but green, I vacuum it up when I do water changes but back it comes.

"but it comes back" - because he's concentrating on the symptom, not the cause.

i had cyno, i fixed it with flow, added a stream and within 2 weeks the cyno was gone without a trace.

it also dose seem to be a time of year thing as quite a few people i know have had issues with it recently.

i have read the sticky articles and there worth the read.

i had cyno, i fixed it with flow, added a stream and within 2 weeks the cyno was gone without a trace.

it also dose seem to be a time of year thing as quite a few people i know have had issues with it recently.

i have read the sticky articles and there worth the read.

I've never had a trace of it after i upgraded my skimmer to deltec ap902. have had a few issues with diatoms, but no cyano.

yep, i read it, wasn't trying to pick a fight, genuine question.

You know my tank, its low nutrient, I dont feed much or add anything, its got high flow, low nutrients, good coral growth and colour, a 902 pumping out liters of skimmate and Cyno.

I think it could need more flow, as the are more and more quite areas, even with 3 streams.

Still be interesting to see the effect of vodka.

i get it when i overfeed. when i cut down the feeding it goes away. in a way, it is an easy method of nutrient export, just vacuum it up and its gone

exactly. so you either have the option of cutting back on feeding, but if thats not an option (because your fish will starve :D ) then you need to increase nutrient export, such as getting a larger skimmer, using rowaphos or the likes etc. things like poor flow and inadequate lighting are things that just help supplement it's growth - but all in all it's about reducing DOC's.