advice re linebreeding guppies

suemack

Had problems with my one attempt at linebreeding. Got the most beautiful long finned female from the LFS - she dropped her babies, tried to breed her with one of the males not very successfully (few babies survived, didn't drop often), next tried to breed M & F from that drop. The babies were not brilliant - OK colouring, very sensitive to water quality, changes (when they went to LFS didn't do well, actually most survived a few days and died) I had to constantly outcross and eventually gave up - put into the too difficult file !! Currently have 1 M, 1F guppy in 5 gall tank have beautiful babies which I grow on in male or female 10 gall tanks - then to LFS when old enough (all do well). When my fish are too old to breed they go into the 'tank for the bewildered' the 10 g guppy retirement home. What did I do wrong with my linebreeding 'experiment' please, what should I be doing differently.

if you try it again - you may want to try breeding the daughters to the father... instead of the mother to the sons... Sorry to put it in such 'human' terms, but it makes the most sense :lol:

Not sure if it would help at all - just a thought :)

i got a 70lt baywindow tank as my show tank and thats where all my older guppys go or the ones i do not need now and i got 2x30lts for the females and males ( not that a got some males lol )but when i breed i news a 5 way breeder trap and take the bit out so it bigger for them and i put my male and 4 of the female in it for 3 weeks and then i take the male out so the females can drop in there so i do not need a lot of tanks u can try that it seem to work out good for me as i not got a lot of room here for tanks .

bikiegirl

Your show tank sounds wonderful bikiegirl - I may have to get rid of the piano. Who do you breed after you've bred father to daughters/ what's the next generation? The guy at our LFS lol at me cos I still have my old guppies - they're all different esp the old girls, they get real bossy. Have found it better to separate the sexes soon as - then the males grow at a better rate - don't waste all that energy chasing girls. You should see them when they get to the LFS and put in with a tank of females !!

onces there drop i news the males again on the daughters of that drop or one of the male closes to the color the father from the frist drop but the colors are spot on in the females the male i news is a king cobra and a red delta , when i get to meny guppys r ones with not color i feed them to my sons walking fish . :lol: i got both my 30lt tank setting side by side and just witching them seeing the females is funny and all the males seat to one end of the tank going goofy

and nice to meet u suemack

nice to meet U 2 bikiegirl - I have a 'fluoro' (LFS description) male - he is not particularly attractive - greyish front, amazing flourescent back end and tail - but throws the most beautiful babies with full fluoro colour - though not all the same colour - I've just put one of his daughters in with him to see what I will get, hopefully more consistancy of colour in the babies and more colour in the females Have kept a male who'se in with an unrelated fem and one daughter. The results may take a while. :)

Breed the father back to the daughters, and if possible to his granddaughters.To create a strain you must condence the gene pool as much as possible.Once your new strain is putting out reasonably consistant fish you will need to set up two lines with the strain, with the idea you will use each line to cross into each other every few generations to give them some genetic diversity without dammaging your new line by adding in fish you have no idea of what other characteristics the may be hiding.

Try breeding an easier strain to start with.Halfblack or Snakeskin perhaps and work on the tail shape you want first.Colour will be fairly easy to set but you will loose the tail shape first so concentrate on that.

I had 7 tanks inside all powered by their own pumps and heaters.I turned my toolshed at the back of the garage into a fishroom.The idea is to make the room as well insulated as possibled, during

the winter the power bill for the room I have worked out to be about $20.Much less than when I was inside and I have ten times the tankspace.

Goodluck

Not as hard as it seems as long as you have patients

thanks Peter - how big are the tanks you use, do you have gravel and plants in the tanks, how often do you do w/changes and what do you do with the all the surplus babies - I grow all normal babies on and trade in at LFS - even with only 1 major breeder at present (the others all have a few that don't get eaten) that is a lot of babies. Any that have abnormalities I cull - not that there are many :D

I have a range of different sized tanks 10,20,30,40.At the moment I am short on space and will be moving into my garage shortly.I am putting all my tanks on a central filtration system with UV in the system to help slow down any disease outbreak.I will use the room I have now spcifically for breeding and gravid female livebearers and fry.Hopefully if I set it up right it will require little maintenance and I will be able to get back to enjoying my fish more.

All of my tanks are bear bottom which makes them easier to syphon, espcially when there is alot of uneaten food lying around.

sounds great Peter - bare tanks sound a bit easier - mine are in my living room and have gravel/plants - do smaller w/changes throughout the week, then more thorough on the weekend - have you ever had problems with your fry getting sucked up into the filters? In my 5 galls have got box filters converted to sponge filters and have no probs with these but in the 10 galls have Aqua minis and have had some of the fry esp newborns end up in the filter boxes - a few survive if I find them soon enough.

What do you do with all your grown on babies - I've only got the one fem who is breeding properly - all the rest have tank mates who consider the babies as snacks so only a few survive - get enough fry from 1 fem to keep our LFS and friends supplied. Usually get 20 - 30 good looking young guppies per drop. Don't know if I could find 'homes' for more - sue