Everything posted by srossnz
-
Desperately seeking - an emerald crab
I read on wetwebmedia this guy ran rowa phos with a phosphate reactor and had massive success with his bubble algae woes. I may give this a go..
- Hello from Whangaparoa
-
Hello from Whangaparoa
Hi All, I tried the international forums for a while and I think they are a bit too hectic for me. I was glad I found this club, would much rather converse with locals. I dabbled in saltwater tanks when I was in the US about 10yrs ago. Nothing major and when moving to NZ I took a lot of pleasure in donating all my fish to the local aquarium. I often wonder if any of them are still alive. I'm now 35 and have been living in NZ for the last 7 yrs. I finally got around to getting a tank setup, mainly because my 5yr old daughter wants nemo and bubbles I must say it was a great excuse to get back into the hobby again. I have a young FOWLR tank at this stage and just taking things slow. I have a lot to learn but so far so good (aside from some algae that should clear up soon). My tank specs and a few pics are below: -175ltr main tank all glass, I built a black custom wooden frame for it -I guess the sump is 80ltrs or so volume not 100% sure -I run some caulerpa in there -just got a new reef octopus skimmer, on day 4 so not quite producing yet -a tunze 6025 powerhead and I've done the dremel tool mod, really churns up the water now -eheim compact2000 for return pump -cpr50 overflow box -aqualifter hooked to the overflow to recreate siphon on power outage -glo t5 lights -Hailea 150a chiller -Belkin battery backup that can run circulation of the tank for 4+ hrs fish -1 6line wrasse -1 royal dottyback -1 yellow tail damsel I plan to add more fish when the weather cools down (do not want to deal with a hot quarantine tank etc) pics: The tank is on a large rimu chest, but out of paranoia I totlly reinforced the chest in various ways
-
Some photos
Nice!! How many litres is that tank? Just curious..
-
Desperately seeking - an emerald crab
I was just about to get some phosphate remover. I may try to source a small sailfin or foxface. If anyone knows of one available in akl would be great if you could ping me. Thanks
-
anyone in NZ have chaeto?
mostly dudes at reefcentral and the international forums. Some folks made it sound like caulerpa is the antichrist, but so far i have had no issues with 24x7 light. They were also perplexed as they believe caulerpa to be highly invasive compared to chaeto but chaeto is not available in nz
-
Desperately seeking - an emerald crab
oh well /cry
-
anyone in NZ have chaeto?
I'm in Whangaparaoa 45mins north of Akl. I'd be willing to take a road trip if needed. This Thurs-fri-sat-sun I'll be in Tauranga area.. Thanks
-
anyone in NZ have chaeto?
I'm currently running caulerpa because it is all I can find. I have had countless people say it is NOT the way to go, to use Chaeto however it seems impossible to find here. I suppose maybe through a few back channels, I dunno. If anyone has a fistful in auckland i'd be happy to pick it up and pay or supply a case of brews just pm me.. thanks!
-
Desperately seeking - an emerald crab
Hi All, I'm glad to have found this site! I was just wondering is there any hope of finding an emerald crab in NZ? I would like one to go after my bubble algae which is an ongoing nightmare. My tank is only 175 litre + 80litre sump refugium so I'm not too keen to put in a sailfin tang or foxface as they grow big. Thanks for any info, I would pay top dollar for one of these crabs.. Sean