Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

anyone in NZ have chaeto?

Featured Replies

I'm currently running caulerpa because it is all I can find. I have had countless people say it is NOT the way to go, to use Chaeto however it seems impossible to find here. I suppose maybe through a few back channels, I dunno. If anyone has a fistful in auckland i'd be happy to pick it up and pay or supply a case of brews :) just pm me.. thanks!

  • Author

I'm in Whangaparaoa 45mins north of Akl. I'd be willing to take a road trip if needed. This Thurs-fri-sat-sun I'll be in Tauranga area.. Thanks

  • Author

mostly dudes at reefcentral and the international forums. Some folks made it sound like caulerpa is the antichrist, but so far i have had no issues with 24x7 light. They were also perplexed as they believe caulerpa to be highly invasive compared to chaeto but chaeto is not available in nz

I bet they dont have tanks like this.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/miracle-mud-vt28109.html

i am in the process of going Miracle mud with caulerpa, proof is in the pudding and looking at the tanks that use caulerpa it appears to be no problem at all.

It may release some toxins however using carbon will solve that problem,

Hi Srossnz, you will find on some overseas forums they recommend chaeto over caulerpa, that is because chaeto is (supposedly) toxin free, plus it doesn't go sexual like caulerpa.

However as stated chaeto is not available in NZ, but caulerpa, managed properly, can do a fine job, depending just what you are wanting to achieve from your tank. Do you know which species you have?

I only run the lights over the sump for 12 hours and I cant say that any of the algaes i have used has gone sexual.

When algae goes sexual it could also be problems caused by the hobbyist than the algae.

Quite a few of the caulerpa species are found in NZ waters which could be used.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.