Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Macandra Pearling

Featured Replies

Oh, that is so pretty:P :bow::bow:

Caryl wrote:

It refers to the bubbles coming off the plants when CO2 is used

I take it this is something you want to happen?

I take it this is something you want to happen?

I'd say yes 8)

Good indication that all is well in the tank. Plants have plenty of nutrients, CO2 and Light. If your not getting any algae then the balance is good!

  • Author

Yup it's definitely a good thing, I actually rely on it to give the air to my fish that they need. I don't have a bubbler. An interesting point, with a planted tank and pearling you can actually reach over 100% 02 (oxygen) saturation, I think up to 120%, maybe more. This is lucky so it tides the 02 overnight for the fish. A few mornings they were at the top needing air before the lights kicked in and started the process again, so I've installed a powerhead to create some surface movement for easy 02 injection overnight. Pity I can't use my light timer to turn the powerhead on at night, and then the reverse in the morning ;)

  • Author

Lovin' it! It's a whole 'notha side to plant keeping. Bit like there's fish, then there's fish breeding... there's plants, then there's plants pearling :bounce:

Wow - they look so cool - I've been trying to get my plants pearling since I read Takashi Armano - Nature Aquarium world - what a drool fest :hail:

Pearling is actually bubbles of oxygen produced by the plant when it is photosynthesizing really fast - usually because you have that mix of nutrients, CO2 and lighting juuust right.

I finally saw my riccia pearling the other night:

dsc03839-web.jpg

  • Author

Nice pic Magenta, I love the way Riccia pearls and it does it readily when floating at the top of the tank with CO2.

From what I've read Paws it's rather difficult, as you have to tie it down using nylon to hardscape material like slate/rocks etc; it also grows out of the ties and floats to the top as it doesn't develop a root base to cement it naturally in place

I added it to the tank to use up a chunk of nutrient quickly - get rid of an algae problem.

It has grown enough so that it sort of clumps together - wee floating islands of it. I'm thinking of typing it down in a couple of spots soon -

the problem is that now it is starting to block out a little too much light.

I understand that you *really* tie it down - wrap tons of nylon around it, all over the surface where you want it to grow, and it will grow through the nylon. I imagine it looks awful for a while...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.