Macandra Pearling

Luke*

Yup it's definitely a good thing, I actually rely on it to give the air to my fish that they need. I don't have a bubbler. An interesting point, with a planted tank and pearling you can actually reach over 100% 02 (oxygen) saturation, I think up to 120%, maybe more. This is lucky so it tides the 02 overnight for the fish. A few mornings they were at the top needing air before the lights kicked in and started the process again, so I've installed a powerhead to create some surface movement for easy 02 injection overnight. Pity I can't use my light timer to turn the powerhead on at night, and then the reverse in the morning ;)

Wow - they look so cool - I've been trying to get my plants pearling since I read Takashi Armano - Nature Aquarium world - what a drool fest :hail:

Pearling is actually bubbles of oxygen produced by the plant when it is photosynthesizing really fast - usually because you have that mix of nutrients, CO2 and lighting juuust right.

I finally saw my riccia pearling the other night:

dsc03839-web.jpg

Nice pic Magenta, I love the way Riccia pearls and it does it readily when floating at the top of the tank with CO2.

From what I've read Paws it's rather difficult, as you have to tie it down using nylon to hardscape material like slate/rocks etc; it also grows out of the ties and floats to the top as it doesn't develop a root base to cement it naturally in place

I added it to the tank to use up a chunk of nutrient quickly - get rid of an algae problem.

It has grown enough so that it sort of clumps together - wee floating islands of it. I'm thinking of typing it down in a couple of spots soon -

the problem is that now it is starting to block out a little too much light.

I understand that you *really* tie it down - wrap tons of nylon around it, all over the surface where you want it to grow, and it will grow through the nylon. I imagine it looks awful for a while...