oscar sulking

JDM

Hi all,

I have a tiger Oscar at work, he is a big boy around 35cm and gets heaps of great comments from our customers.

he has not had anything to eat for 3+ weeks, he dose this from time to time, im interested to hear if there is anything that i can do to raise his appetite.

thanks in advance :hail:

offer him some more varities, things like mealworms, earthworms, different brands of pellets, frozen mixtures you can get from the LFS,locusts, praying mantis (from chemical free sources) etc. its not uncommon for them to just decide they no longer want to eat their favourite foods and can be very stubborn. at 3 weeks hell be starting to get hungry by now and if he doesnt start within the next week or so i would start to worry slightly, they can go longer but if its not just him being picky it could be something more serious. i would do a nice big 40% water change to see if that perks him up a bit also.

did you recently add/remove fish, change decor etc? that is often known to set a oscar sulk on

thanks people!

banana :o ill try that one tomorrow!

he has been on frozen tucker for a long while, i have pellets but he only eats those if he feels like it.

we added a shark to the tank and he went mental so we removed it, this i would say is the cause of his sulking, he chases his reflection (to the point where he runs into the glass at a very high speed) as well which is something that i never noticed before, will try some differant foods and see if that helps.

dont worry about his charging unless its causing him major damage (scales missing, stunning himself etc), most oscars do this. mine even has his moments at me where he doesnt like me in my own bedroom cause hes moody let alone seeing the dreaded twin :lol:

perhaps tape some sort of paper to the sides to minimise reflection? the shark probably did set it off, oscars can be such drama queens :lol: but try some new foods and see if he perks up :)

i tryed the backing thig to reduce reflection, this seemed to make him run at the glass more, so removed it.

tryed the ping pong ball thing, he has never been interested in it.

still no luck with feeding, might try some ummm "live food" and ill see if i can get some meal worms that might tempt him.

cheers people. keep the ideas comming :D

• 17 years later...

I have 2 35cm oscars recently my son put a creek yabby in their tank which made the ph acidic I removed the yabby got the ph correct again but they are still sulking 2 days later sitting on the bottom then going to the top letting their food go in and out their mouths but not eating it. My oscars have never sulked for more than a few hours what have I done to them 😭😭😭