1 sump for lots of tanks...

fishy_t

Hi there guys, I'm going to be setting up a row of large ish (300 - 400l) tanks and I'm planning on running them on a big sump under the tanks (all for Tanganyikans so all need the same water anyway!)

Here is an idea of what is in my head! :

setup.jpg

Does anyone who has setup or has had this sort of thing before have any comments or idea's?! I wanted to have the pickup from the tanks removing the water from near the bottom of the tanks to pick up Amonia etc and I've been given an idea on how too make sure the tanks don't syphon all of the water out if the return pump stops:

syphon.jpg

Has anyone had good results from this before?!

Thanks guys :)

A question: how are you going to ensure that the flow is the same through all tanks?

In your draft setup, if pipe diameters are all the same, the tank closest to the pump will get more water from the sump than the tank the furthest from the pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi FishyT. I have a multi-tank system that shares a common sump. 3 shelves, each with 2 900x300x300 tanks. Water is pumped from the sump to the top left tank and siphoned via u-shaped pvc pipe (and elbows) to the next tank with as overflow at the far end (lenght of pvc connected to a hole drilled in the bottom). The water drops to a tank directly below, siphops to the next, another overflow, etc. I had concerns that waste would be more concentrated in the latter tanks and oxygen more depleted but I havn't experienced any problems. I wouldn't call the flow 'fast' but it is quick enough not to build up toxins before returning to the sump. A DIY pvc spray bar is attached under each overflow and even though some are below the water line, air gets sucked through each overflow and gives obvious airation. The sump comprises of two tanks identical to the rest. The 1st has 3 partitions. The water enters at the bottom through an under gravel plate and rises through filter wool and foam. It spills into the next chamber and moves down through noodles and bio-balls. The last chamber of this first sump tank has 2 x 300w heaters. water siphons to the next sump where it is pumped to the top again. If there is a blockage and subsequent over-flow, only the sump with the pump empties. I put another 300w heater in one of the half-way tanks. The warmest tank is 26deg, the coldest is 23deg.

I like that you are trying to supplying each tank with water directly from the sump. I thought I may have to change to this idea but will keep the ststus-quo for now.

I hope this has been of some help. Oh, by the way. However long you have planned this project to take....double it :lol:

Hope it goes well

Awesome, thanks for that!

it would be easier to have each tank connected to the next like your set up - but I think I will try to keep each one supplied separately as I was thinking about sticking a UV onto the system at some later point - and I've got a MASSIVE magnet drive pump to drive the system and if the whole flow is directed through each tank it would be quite turbulent!!

I can imagine that it will take longer than planned - I recently made some 'rocks' from polystyrene and concrete and that took about 4 times as long as I thought it would!!

Shame you don't live closer so I can see your set-up!