noisey aqua one filter

dimebag

hi all,

i have an aqua one r2-120 tank with the wet/dry filter that comes with it, and it is really noisey :evil:

i think its the powerhead making the noise, sort of a humming, rattling noise, and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

if so, is there a remedy?

the tank is only a few months old, and has been pretty noisey from the start, but is really getting to me now.

any help or advice greatly appreciated.

cheers, duncan

Hi Duncan, Have you checked the impeller in the power head, sometimes they just need to be taken out and put back in to quieten them down. I too have a Aqua One but 850 with the wet dry filter and mine has just got a hum. If taking out and replacing the impeller dosn't work i recommend contacting you lfs and seeking a replacement afterall tanks are supposed to be relaxing!! Good luck

Cheer Lee

Birdwoman, nice to see that you are native to this part of the world, but would you like to put what area of NZ you are from.

Just change your location in your profile information, helps later down the track.

Thanks

Alan 104

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I to have an AR850 that gives the noisey pump. I find it is air cavitating in the top of the pump. After each water change I remove the short 90 degree bend on the top of the pump that goes to the horizontal pipe over filter material. This lets you slide the pump back of the holder under the whole filter system inside the tank. As this slides back you will see air run out of the top of the pump. Put the sytem back together and she should be quiet as a mouse. The water level must be higher than the top of the pump obiviously

Thanks Mike

I just gave my pump a good service and there is a small hole at the top of the out let that joins the top of the motor cavity. It is so small 1.5 - 2mm and gets blocked easily this normall drains air from motor area. I gave mine a good clean and did not need to purge by the normal above method so I guess if it is humming it may need that little hole cleared.

Cheers

Mike

Mine gets a vibration into the filter - makes all the lids rattle.

The newer versions of these tanks have a rubber arm that the powerhead hangs from, but our's is hard plastic.

I was having to nudge the filter arrangement a couple of times a day to stop the vibration building up - it was really annoying. These days I have a 1.5L coke bottle with DIY CO2 production jammed in beside the tube leading to the spray bar - so it stops the vibration completely.