dwarf hariihari catfish ? what are they

suemack

about 8 months ago bought a dwarf harihari catfish "Harry" from our LFS - they'd had him a while and he spent his time curled around the base of a plant - for the next month didn''t see much of him - one day when I'd be cleaning he'd be under a rock, the next he'd be hanging among the roots of the water sprite - came to be known as 'dead fish' cos I never saw him move!! Turned out the light one and there was Harry zooming round the tank at a rate of knots :D Nowadays he rumbles out when I'm feeding esp if it's bloodworms. Doesn't seem to worry the other fish unless they happen to be where his worms are. Cannot find him in any of the books in the library or in any of mine or the LFS including Axelrod Atlas. Anyone know what he is, how big he will grow :oops: (should have asked that before buying), should I hunt for a mate for him, have they been bred in captivity - actually would like to know anything about them - sm

The scientific name for it is Hara hara. Comes from asia (mainly India), has an adult size of about 7cm (according to the book but the largest I've come across are only about 5cm) and yes they definitely go crazy over bloodworms and white worms.

There is no information about breeding them. I've got 5 of them and haven't witnessed any social interaction between them - but may be because it occurs after the lights are out (like alot of other social interactions :lol: ).