Drift Wood

Ninja turtle

Is it more of a soft guey stuff that is coming of it in little cotton like streams??

If so I brought some and it was like that too but my BN's cleaned it all up within a day or so(I don't know what it was but it didn't effect my fishies)

I also have wood from the beach in my other tanks and I just gave it a wash with water and then left it to dry it out in the sun and then put it in the tank and it was fine (the wood i got from the beach didn't have the white stuff on it though :-? )

Yeah my driftwood grew little white hairs, about 5mm long? Pleco cleaned them up and they never grew back.

If its pouring out kind of like a cottony lava, its probably sap, I had that too, didn't hurt anything but sure did make me nervous :-? But then that makes it more 'broken tree' than driftwood I guess.

Boil it ?

Spot on. :)

All driftwood and rocks that we collect get boiled for 10 minutes or so and then rinsed. That way you make sure you don't introduce any nasties (including snails) to your tank.

Also, we've just been told the other day by a fellow fish-keeper (Thanks Marty ;) !) that one should only use dark wood and not light wood like pine etc. Dark wood doesn't rot... We have one piece of lighter wood in one tank but it has only been in there for a couple of weeks - it could well start rotting eventually.

HTH, Dan :D