Need fast Help regarding dropsy PLEASE!

radu

Hi

I am pretty sure that my fish has dropsy. He is bloated and stays up at the top of the water most of the time by the outlet pipe of my filter. His scales are slightly raised but not to the extent of a pinecone affect.

Could someone please let me know what to use to treat this. I have books (American books) that say a broad spectrum antibiotic would work, but when trying to get something that meets this description from a petshop not only do the staff not know (as per usual) have also been told that any meds that can help are not allowed into the country because of NZ laws, is this right???

I need help asap as I would hate for my fish to die.

Thanks

sadly, if it is dropsy, there is a very small chance of it surviving.

First thing you need to do is to seperate it from any other fish in the same tank as to not spread disease.

Then you need to treat with some sort of medicine. i have never encountered dropsy so im not sure what to use but i would use melafix or similiar....

HTH

Rogan

Rogan has it, I mean the right info.

Separate the fish and don't worry about any treatment.

I have had dropsy in some of mine and anything done was a waste of time.

Youth-in-Asia shouldn't be off the list either.

Alan 104

Hi

The thing I don't understand is how the fish got unwell. I have always looked after the water conditions in my tanks and always kept up the maintenance of my tanks. All water parameters are really good, so why did the fish get it in the first place.

Have now lsolated the fish in a 40 litre tank and will go out and get some furan and try that. I am also considering using a bit of epsom salts from reading a previous post on Dropsy on this forum. I feel I have to try to help esp as I have had this fish for over a year and have kinda formed a bond with it. Might sound silly but that's how it is.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/siamese-female-with-swollen-gills-pics-vt8142.html

Have a read of this.

My wee betta lived for a month and a half or so longer than i beleive she would have if i did nothing. I put her down in the end but perhapes if your fish has got dropsy you can try some of the things that were suggested to me.

I am sorry that the pictures have gone awol :o I am not sure where they went.

Try Caryls suggestions first, just incase :wink:

Good luck with your special fish and keep us posted on how everything is going,

Loopy

Well with my experiences of dropsy (a big thing in half black guppies) I have found that there isn't any cure and just a lot of wasted money.

Basicly it is like a cancer. The disease is not spreadable unless the fish dies in the tank and the others eat off it. You have no idea if the fish has it untill it develops (just like cancer). Yes I know that cancer is treatable (most cases) but I am using this as an example.

Knocking the fish off is the best option at any signs of dropsy as its also a very painful disease for the fish.

Sorry to hear that you have to deal with such a horrid disease.

:cry:

Thank you all for your help and support so far. Have now put in the furan and he is still swimming around. But mostly stays at the top of the water, still bloated. Have just got some epsom salt and will add that to the water. He is an oranda, in fact the first oranda I ever got. Named him "Little whale" he is a bronzie silver colour and he has been with me for 14 mths. Have had a few orandas die since he has been with me and he has had probs with swim bladder at times, but I fed him peas and isolated him used furan and he came right. If it comes to having to put him down I think I will take him to my vet to do it as she was very kind and put another one of my orandas down and did not even charge me.