Gill fluke flatworms

wasp

Found this...

GYRODACTYLUS (Skin fluke) and the DACTYLOGYRUS (Gill fluke)

Flukes cause Ulcer Disease. Other parasites can transmit and cause ulcerations, but none so effectively as the pathogenic trematode, or FLUKE.

Assume that if you're treating bacterial infections, you also have concurrent infection with Flukes. The flukes are easy to diagnose with a microscope.

However, they are also easy to treat using Malachite Green and Formalin or Potassium permanganate is also excellent and used at the rate of 1.5 grams per ton (220 Gallons) - but it is even more important to ensure good volumes of water changes after using this medication.

gill flukes are easily nailed by prazi which is found in drontal. prazi is also a relatively soft med compared to say formalin etc and as far as i know it doesnt effect bacteria colonies in your tank which is an added bonus

most meds for fish dont have prazi in it frenchy :( but the dog wormer does :lol: i prefer prazi over formalin cause its gentle, doesnt ruin bacteria and works just as well. we can get the liquid form of prazi which is ideal but very expensive. the only downside of drontal is it makes your tank pink for a few days :lol:

Funny that, I can can praziquintel here easy enough.

In that case then :roll: anything with Formalin or Malachite Green will do the trick.

What I used to use in a lfs was a home brew that had Grub kill{used in horticulture}in it. Its a very good parasite remedy for fish too. But has to be measured properly, as is harmful to catfish if over dosed. Anyone with a fish room, or shop the home brew is a great option, way cheaper.

You will find alot of drugs used in other fields, humans too. eg; the oxy family of drugs

Frenchy :D

Don't worry Sharn I think we are a very close 2nd. :( I hate reading USA sites & seeing what choices they have.eg; Food that has anti biotics in it. :cry:

With all the recreation drugs I could buy at a click of a finger that will make me have a good time but harm the body :roll: yet where are all the medicines that could do some good for this hobby. :evil:

I hate reading USA sites & seeing what choices they have.eg; Food that has anti biotics in it. :cry:

You answered your own question, too many morons who dont know what they are doing risking the export meat market with pure stupidity.

Do not use Ivermectin, although its effective against leeches, snails, and general parasites; it has no effect on protozoa, tapeworms or flukes. It does have some use as its often used to treat salmon for sea lice and has a very low sensitivity point in fish.

Praziquantel is in all broadspectrum drenches used to control tapeworm. Available for human, dogs, sheep and cattle. Its normally part of a good quality broad spectrum drench. If it is an ongoing problem it may pay to get a stool sample sent away for analysis (hard to do, but not impossible)

Unless you really know what you are doing, you need to talk to a vet who knows what they are doing. If you dont fully understand the lab sheets, you dont know what you are doing

If you dont have one who can help you locally, Massey Vet School is only an email or a phone call away.

Another thing - take note of the incubation periods as drench is known to suppress earthworm populations, DO NOT put the water down the drain and DO NOT pour it on the lawn. Store outside for at least a week in the sun to degrade safely before disposal.

Also be aware daphnia are highly sensitive to drenches as in 90-120 times more sensitive to fish, the same applies roughly to other invertabrates.

Rule of thumb - if it knocks off tapeworms it knocks off flukes.

You answered your own question, too many morons who dont know what they are doing risking the export meat market with pure stupidity.

I hope you weren't calling me names? Thats not very nice. :( :lol: I believe you may of mis-read me.

The convo was about lack of fish medications firstly in NZ, but Aussie isn't much better. I was talking about "fish food" as in you can get medicated "fish food" in the states, which is used to treat fish when sick :wink: :roll: