inhabitants:

a dozen neon tetras

4 bristlenoses

a pair of blue gourami's

a golden honey dwarf gourami

a pair of corydoras julli

a male saimese fighter

and there once was a male guppie

at brekfast time yesterday, the guppie was there. but come dinner time he wasnt :-?

i have checked behind the corner filter, under every rock, and peice of drift wood. even in the tangled java moss.

we even checked around the tank to see if he had jumped out.

but no guppie.

it's nothing important, but we still find it weird how there is no dead body, or anything.

if anyone has any comment's or suggestions on what might have happened to the little fella, it'd be great.

thanks

I had the same thing! I had a guppy in one of those guppy breeding things, took the lid off, came back and he was gone! We looked everywhere for him, yet he had disappeared, no where to be found.

Then we had this male guppy that we thought had died, because we didn't see him for 5 months! Hibernation? :roll:

Hamish said...

> ... and there once was a male guppie ...

Over the weekend, I bought 6 young Hoplo cats (Hoplosternum spp).

In the bag there were also 2 guppies that somehow swam into the

next while the catfish were being caught and which were designated

'freebies'. All the fish were released into my community tank, the

hoplos are swimming about happily but the guppies instantly vanished

upon release and have not been seen since, despite some searching.

I think they must have a virtual tank somewhere that they can

teleport to when they feel the need.

Having said that, I did lose an Aphyosemion scheeli in the same

tank for a couple of months and then he just re-appeared so maybe

they let killies in to virtual-guppy-world too... :o

Andrew.

A dried guppy is also very small and not always spotted, or identified, immediately. Have you checked IN the filter?

Also, if he died soon after you saw him last, the other fish would easily dispose of the whole boy by tea time but I like Andrew's 'virtual tank' theory better. :lol: I have long suspected such a thing existed.

I have lost 2x kuli loaches 1x sae 2x zebra danios to this virtual space.

Mind you I sometimes think my knife fish has a strangley contented look on his face.

About once a fortnight I open and cleanout my Eheim, yesterday I recovered 5x baby catfish alive from it, usually there is 3-4 in there.

They seem quite happy to live in there, must be a great ride to get there, a bit like the waterslide at Wiawera thermal pools.

I have an 80l tank stocked with some swordtails, mollies, and one lonely guppie. One day the guppie simply disappeared, and I thought he virtually became fish food (gosh, dis, u r sooooo corny!). One month later while cleaning the tank he suddenly appeared from under a rock. Never got to ask him what virtual fish space was like, but he is as healthy as can be...I simply think they are masters of disguise 8)