deformed flamebacks

GeeTee

me 2. I have one electric yellow baby that has a bent spine and if I could catch the darn thing it'd see the inside of my freezer asap.

What's interesting to note is that in a lot of fish I just got, not cichlids, there's an "adult" with a bent spine a n d there's a few babies with bent spines. Really keeping deformitys only promotes them, IMHO.

Yeah I guess if you have the tank space to keep these "unique" fish in where they can live a good life and theres no possibility of them breeding then its all good..

Personally I catch any when they're young enough to still be food and feed them to something else so theres no possibility of them breeding.. I think its inevitable as alot of fish are becoming more and more inbred, and I dont have the time/space for deformed fish..

Ask any discus breeder how many they cull!

yea im for culling to stop deformities spreading through the generations but if possible i would keep as a special fish so they could live a normal life.

As long as they arent suffering then you should keep them alive :D

I had to get rid of a couple female guppys with bent spines a little while ago but i couldnt do the deed, my mate had to.... :P (and they were only guppys!!!!!!!!!!!)

I got some deformed guppys for 'live food' for my knife fish but when i got them home, i couldn't do it, so they now live in my inlaws community tank!

Husband still gives me grief about it....

No more live food for my knife... he can have blood worm.

A friend of ours breeds discus and hes very selective on what he keeps (which is a good thing) He has a resident Oscar who is rather well fed at times.

I would cull anything that is needing to be, however, luckily have had near on nothing to cull really, but I guess its only a matter of time! :D

I always remember being told, weak young often make weak adults.

JMT :D

Mekhaela

Hawkes Bay

Im a fan of culling anything that isnt right

And anything that comes from a wholesaler that i feel isnt good enough for the hobby gets feed to my native fish so that means anything under around 20cm will get eaten plus i love watchig them feed which helps

The main reason i see culling appropriate is in Oz we have some really bad Electric yellows which could have been avoided to a degree by people who kept on top of the badly coloured ones and stopped them breeding

Brad

i breed goldfish as well so i am use to kulling fish but this to me looks unique rather than deformed. i like them :D

all fancy gold fish are "deformed". there is a very unique breed of goldfish called the meteor that's is exactly like that with no tail. [u never know u could start a new breed :lol: ]

Don't know about the new breed thing!!

But they're harmless they'll stay in the family for a while.

Won't try and contaminate the market.

I like a big tail fanned out showing all the colours,really makes a fish I reckon.