on cloud 9 woooohhhhhhoooo

bikiegirl

hi

im one happy bikiegirl my red tail guppy just had 32 fry and she had them in a breeding trap she was setting in the trap for 4 days woohhhhoooo i all so got 11 one mth old fry to i find in the tank a mth ago by the look of the 11 one mth olds i got that r all female and r blonds im hoping that in the 32 i got i get some males as i need some ,

wooooohhhhooooo so happy.

p;s i must be doing some thing right about dam time lol

Congrats!! Named them all yet? :wink:

You'll have to start giving them to friends soon since once you get a few going they breed real fast. You could try swapping some with LFS and breed your others... peppered cats breed well too.

:D peety

Good one Bikiegirl,

Looks like you'll be in the market for some extra tanks shortly he he.

They say the temperature alters the amount of female to male ratio (don't really know for sure) but it is often mentioned on the Guppy sites.

Check at guppiesRus, or guppy world, plus there are a few good sites in the Technical section under "Useful Links"

hi o k ill try that dennie as im in the need for some males now as it look like the there r all female as i can not see the litttle thingy the males got when i look at them and yep ill be in the market for some more tanks as i setting up a stand that will hold 8 20 lt tanks so if there is some one out there that can help with some tanks or with some one who can make them on the cheep it will be good im in auckland and all so seen today that my gold barbs have got eggs to i was luck i put them in a tank on there own there r now back in the big tank as im not sure if i can keep them in with the eggs . ty

p;s the kids r nameing them lol will r trying to lol my son thinks it woohhhoooo when he seen them born the look on his face was p-less

o and ty pegasus the site r lots of help ty

as i setting up a stand that will hold 8 20 lt tanks

There's not a great deal you can do with 20ltr tanks, apart from short term fry holders.

You will still need to heat and filter 8 tanks, so why not consider 4.. 24x12x15 which will allow you a bit of latitude. :)

You need to update your message that occurs with your post (sorry can't remember what you call it). It seems you have more than nine guppys.

yep i see that but i only got 9 breeding guppys and lots of babys now not sure if im going to keep them i got to see what the colors r frist sorry about that . i all so got from the kids on my bday 3 marble angelfish there the size of a 50c and 600x300x300 tank with set up so i now got some thing new to play with woohhhhoooooo .

hi again i just had a mate came in and look my fry and yep i was right there r all females lol he sat there for 2 hrs looking at them then he started to take one at a time out of the breeding trap and look at them and put them in my fry tank and yep he said all females .

hi ive been play around with some guppys sites and there forums and this is what there said about it all

GUPPY BOARD;; said Well, First of all bikiegirl, How old are these fry that all look like females? I have had several strains where the males don't color up and look like females until after 3-4 months old.

To have a strain of guppies that produces all females or all males is very unusual to say the least.

Several factors beside the obvious that genetics is involved here are:

*1-The fry are too young to visibly tell males from females.

*2-Water changes: If the water that the fry live in has not been refreshed several times a week, the build up of the female hormone (estrogen) may be at such elevated levels that it affects the normal development of male/female ratios. This has been proven by adding the female hormone estrogen to the tank water causing the males to develop up at a rate slower than the non-hormone males from the same drop.

*3-You actually purchased a strain that was bred to produce more females than males. Although this is unlikely, there is a possibility that this may be the case. If we as breeders can by selective breeding attain traits of color, body size, and caudal dorsal shapes, than it is conceivable that one could breed a strain where the male would transfer more X (not Y) chromosomes to the off spring than normal.

My question again, how old are these fry?

and GUPPY TALK said ;;;I once experienced this same problem. There are few factors which could determine the sex of your guppies - Yes, increasing the temperature can help produce males, however this is not a sure-fire way of obtaining them. By nature, guppies usually produce more females than males. Your female guppy's diet may also play a factor in the sexual development of your fry - try live food or food that contains large amounts of protein (such as brine shrimp). Also, you may find that increasing the protein intake of your pregnant females can produce more males.

Don't think high Temperature has much to do with more males althogh I have read some articles that says it does on Guppies and Fighters.Last Summer I had real trouble venting heat from my fishroom, had to get my wife to leave the door open all day while I was at work, and most fry turned out female.Just about lost my H/B light blue strain.Out of a drop of about 40 fish I got only two males.Both developed true to the strain but both were fireing blanks.I outcrossed some of the females back to the origional darker blue strain I got from Kelly Rennel and then the best male fry back to their still virgin Aunts to get the colour back again.

Lack of water changes can slow growth in guppies.The nitrates accumulating in the tank sort of say to the fish there ain't much room in here stop growing.I didin't know hormones like estrogen could also build up in the tank. Noted and will do some research.