Fish tank query - what thickness glass is required for a 6'

Sweetysmum

Hello everybody, just joined today so hope I do this right. I'm hoping someone can help me. I need to buy a fish tank 6 foot long x 2 foot high x 2 foot wide. My Clown Loach has outgrown her present home and the Vet suggested she needed a six foot tank. I have to get one made and was quoted these dimensions, but I am concerned about the thickness. They never mentioned the glass needs to be a certain thickness, and before I give them the okay to make it up, I thought I would ask here, what thickness glass would you suggest for the above dimensions, as I'm worried they may make it up and then find it should have been thicker glass. Also, would a wooden stand be strong enough to put it on, made of 2 by 2, with 3 legs along the front and 3 legs along the back. I would appreciate any help at all, as she is so special to me, I would hate to put her into anything that later caused problems. Thank you for any advice you can give me regarding the above.

that article confused me a bit (im not up on technical words lol). i would suggest at least 12mm glass.

you will want to make sure the stand is very sturdy as you are looking at around 640L (1kg per L) not including glass weight, substrates etc. a steel stand would be sturdier if made properly IMO. theres many articles on the net about building tank stands but i wouldnt try if you didnt have a fair amount of building knowledge. its alot of water that can end up on ya floor :o

good luck and thats a great size tank for some big clowns :wink:

from one tip to the other she's 12 inches, and I love her with all my heart. Had her just on 23 years and unfortunately she is battling health problems.

Thank you so much for your help.

ps. yes I found that article extremely technical too, glad I'm not the only one.

the important thing with stands is not so much the upright bits, but the braceing to stop it twisting. My stand is holding up 700+ liters, I have just a 4x2 in each corner, but one end is screwed to the wall the other has a cross brace. The tank is also make from 12mm glass so there is no chance it will bend in the middle, in fact because the top of my stand has a slight sag in it I can actually move the poly under the midddle of the tank.