additives - what do you dose?

chimera

Just interested in what people dose daily/weekly/monthly to maintain correct Ca, Mg, Alk + others etc?

I never really dosed anything, relied on the Calcium reactor to keep Ca and Mg levels up. Prior to that relied on Kalk in topup water. Also relied on water changes to replenish any other parameters/maintain alk. Seems this is simply not enough. After testing my parameters regularly its clear my SPS (+ bacteria, corraline etc) are hogging as much as they can (and my tank is only half populated with corals!) This is likely to be even moreso than in the past as the corals have grown to at least double their original size.

I baked about 600grams of baking soda last night and mixed that up as per that reefkeeping article after seeing how quickly my kH drops (man it goes mega-solid and is a b!@#& to mix). I still need to keep testing to work out a rough average but in the first week dkH dropped by about 4. Likewise for Mg chloride and Calcium chloride hexahydrate, have mixed those up with RO/DI and put into containers now (Ca dropped about 50ppm in 1 week, Mg dropped about 100ppm). So just need to keep testing and work out what I need to add weekly or daily now.

How many litres is your tank? What do you dose? How much and how regularly?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah puttputt, I agree totally. no idea why its not working, i've mucked around for ages getting drip rate and CO2 bubble rate just right. as i say, its only the first week of testing so unless the corals are playing "catch up" who knows?!

I do...but also keep adding corals so it puts my dosing outa kilter sometimes.

Tank (around 130 g) seems to need the equivalent of at least 2-3 litres of Kalkwasser daily to maintain levels. I add calcium to bring levels up occasionally.

Well it's a case of knowing how to use a calcium reactor. Once you understand it they work well, I haven't touched mine in weeks, tank levels are perfect.

Not knocking any other system though, they all have their uses, and in fact I've used most of them over the years. But now I've got a ca reactor I would not go back.

It's not an issue of knowing how to use a calcium reactor. Calcium reactors are tuned with a feedback method, and the variables (bubble rate, and drip rate) are a lot more abstracted from the calcium levels and alkalinity levels you're trying to control, than they are when you know exactly how much you're adding as with a two part type system.

For example, if you know your tank uses 1 dkH of alk a day, it's pretty difficult to convert that into a bubble count and drip rate, whereas it's pretty trivial to convert that to a volume of 2 part to add.

That's my point of view anyway.

i use seachem reef advantage calcium and reef builder, simple and easy to measure. :wink:

just started with seachem reef iodide, only been using since the weekend so no resuilts noticeable yet.

got a calcium reactor but no co2 bottle or reg yet, ill get around to it :roll:

ive used reef plus and coral trace in the past but i didnt see any change when i ran out so havnt bothered to get more. :-?