Red Devils

Luke*

one of my fav fish :)

they will most likely have midas in them also as they two have been heavily cross bred sadly unless they have been in the country a long long time (not sure when all the cross breeding started). red devils have very pointy bodies, while midas are less severe (this is from seeing F0's).

a great fish, massive personality but they are a one fish per tank fish unless breeding. if you wana mix them dont put fish you value in with them. its very rare for these fish to come in 'nice' :lol:

i want a lone male for my 460L (i LOVE nauchal humps) but i feel cruel putting it out in the garage, theyre just too intelligent

very cool fish there was another guy from auckland selling them on trademe about 3 weeks ago.

just cant bring my self to keep those wonderful large fish full of personality [scared i'll loose them :o ]

had a brackish siamese tiger for a few years and was devastated when i lost it. :cry: latly thinking about getting an archer.

PM me if ur or have an archer on ur thoughts :P

i understand what ya mean about losing fish like this. all fish have personalities but you just cant compare a red devil, oscar etc to a neon tetra with personality. all fish hold sentimental value to each person but these fish are really like dogs in a tank, its not uncommon to hear of certain species of fish who will refuse to eat from all but one person!! they might not be able to learn to 'roll over' but they sure can remember faces.

ive heard the tigers are real funny fish to own, must have been a bummer to have yours pass, sorry for your loss :cry:

I like cichlids for their intelligence, but not just that. They also have a myriad of social interactions; same applies for tetras when sparring or spawning. E.g discus do lots of shimmies and shakes and various things that indicate the way they're feeling. Very interesting to sit and watch for....hours :D

Sharn said:

i understand what ya mean about losing fish like this. all fish have personalities but you just cant compare a red devil, oscar etc to a neon tetra with personality

Certainly a fact that many of the Cichlids are sold.. not just for visual appeal.. but because of their antics and behaviours.

Who can resist those "puppy dog" eyes and the huge rubbery lips of the Oscar.. and the way they can shift more gravel and rocks than a JCB in a real short time.. and what other group take such amazing care of thier young :)

.. and who can fail to be amazed (no matter how many times they see it..).. at a female spitting out dozens of young from her mouth.. and at a slight disturbance the whole pack fights to get back to the safety of the mothers mouth.. then as they grow, she is seen swimming around with a mouthful of tails :)

The Cories are fish that I get great pleasure out of watching... with their never ending comical antics.. the "Comical Workaholics" :)

The Archer is another fish that is choice to watch as it stalks an insect above the water line like a cat waiting to pounce.. then SPLAT.. a water jet hits the insect with perfect accuracy.

Such a wonderful fascinating world.. and such a world that we have yet to learn so much about.