Moisture in the house

JDM

I don't know about hrv but with dvs you would still need heating - so that would have to be added to the running costs. We have a heater in the dvs which bumps the costs up a lot, but also means we don't have to have other heating on as often although it is still needed.

I'd like a heat pump and would then run the dvs without the heater switched on.

Cheers

Jude

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double glazed windows do pay for themselves, but it'll be a while. Still, I wouldn't build a house without them. Be nice to have a really good heat exchanger with all the air going through that too, so you can ventilate the house without losing any of that expensive heat in the air.:)

both DVS and HRV operate on exactly the same principle. HRV can be more expensive as they subscribe to a vent per room. can make a huge difference if you sleep with the bedroom doors closed. if you keep the doors ajar overnight save your self some money and go less vents. i see @ 5 of these systems in operation each week and both work. if yours doesnt try turning the fan up or contact the co.

Well I bought an HRV system tonight. Had to get a unit to cover vents for 6 rooms (4 bedrooms, office and living area). I could have waited, got quotes on similar systems, looked at kitset or DIY or get a dehumidifier for every room :-? but in the end, took one more look at my windows and thought better now than never :D It was priced a little higher than I expected so they sold it on the "buy it now we'll take the GST off" deal. So it set me back $3.2k, a tad more than I expected but for the "heating" and condensation benefits I think its worth it (the outlaws have an HRV - based on their one I term the word "heating" more as "taking the chill out of the air" but thats enough for me) Installation is in about 2 weeks time. I opted against getting one installed in the fish room, just extra cost plus I have different plans for venting that room. Strangely enough I dont get any condensation on the window in the fish room either.

Well, proof is in the pudding I guess so we'll see how well it works in a couple weeks time!

• 2 weeks later...

HRV installed this morning. Got home tonight, very impressed - dont even need the fireplace on. Currently house is 22 degrees, ceiling is 15 degrees (was the other way around several hours ago) Whole house feels more comfortable already and outside is just as cold as it was last night. Will be interesting to see what its like in a weeks time once all areas of condensation are removed.

My rating of it after half a day :D

Does what it says on the box: 9/10

Web site information: 8/10

Presales in-home demo: 5/10

Presales service: 5/10

Installation service: 7/10

Price for what you get: 6/10

After sales service: unknown yet

Now i'm just going to wait to see if and when I get my bottle of wine... :D

Does what it says on the box: 9/10

Web site information: 8/10

Presales in-home demo: 5/10

Presales service: 5/10

Installation service: 7/10

Price for what you get: 6/10

After sales service: unknown yet

your not in IT by any chance are you Chimera :wink:

Do these hrv things pump heat from the ceiling down into the house?

yup. thermo in house, thermo in ceiling. set temp on controller. pumps air from ceiling cavity into house if its warmer than the house. on really low otherwise.

Hey Chim, have you worked out your overall average rating yet?

in terms of what its designed for, its really good and its only be half a day! in terms of cost and sales, not that good.

What did it say on the box to score so highly?

Does the HRV system incorporate a heat pump into the ceiling unit, or is it like a fan heater, or is it just plain moving air around?

heat, recirculation, ventilation - so in that regard it does what it says on the box! the heating not so much, but wouldnt be that difficult to put a heat pump in the ceiling which the HRV would then deliver to the house. more taking the chill off by reducing humidity. says 12 degrees in ceiling and 21 in house at the moment.

your not in IT by any chance are you Chimera?

:D but of course