Neon with white spot - How to treat tank

Fishkeepa

One of my neons has developed white spot. I have been reading about salt+heat. Is this suitable for a community tank with neon glowlights a kuhli loach and a BN catfish. If so how much salt to water is it. Otherwise i'll just get a med for it.

i would go 1tbsp per 40L, some people have dosed their tanks at the normal 1tbsp per 20L of salt with no ill effects but i always prefer to be a bit cautious and it is documented that they (scaleless fish) can be sensitive to salts and other meds. most people up their tanks to around 28C but because you have neons i would just up it to where you feel comfortable, its still going to speed the life cycle up :)

good luck :D

You do have a proble there as neons like there temp between 18 and 22C.

Increasing the temp to 30C to kill the W/S is quit a risk of cause you don't mention what temp the tank is right now. :-?

Asuming the tank is around 22 to 24C I would increase temp to 26C treat with Methylene blue(not the green as it has been know to kill tetra's) with between 10% and 30% (same temp water)water change per day and top up med's, all salt does is produce body slim which helps but salt won't cure.

Treat whitespot aggressively, there's no point mucking around!!!!

GOOD LUCK

my tank is 70L and sitting at 26/27oC

I have put in 'Aqua plus helps protect and heal scales' I'm guessing this helps to produce slime. There are less spots from this morning so maybe this is working. I'll give it a few days if it gets worse again i'll use med.

Thanks for all the feedback

Tsarmina said

Hmm... interesting, as my neons are quite happy in my 26oC tank

It increases there metabolic rate = they don't last as long.

Neons can live for years and years(5 I think but don't quote me) :lol:

Thats why cardinals are recommened for discus tanks over neons.

My poor fishies just got over the worst outbreak of Ick :o:o I lost 3 of my neons. I thought I would loose more because they were a mess, even to the point that that their fins were ragged and disappearing. The treatment that I use states that you don't have to increase the water temp so I did follow the directions. I really thought I'd loose all my neons, to look at them...I thought they were all goners :(

Anyway, they are doing much much better, fins are coming back too :P

I was keeping my tank temp at about 74 now I have increased it to about 76.

ARRRGH :o

Its over more than one fish now 2 neons and a glowlight I did not raise the temp as 27oC is already pushing the limits of the tetra's tolerance (or so i read) The aqua one works but it comes back. This fish all seem fine and happy though.

I think i will get a treatment - Do these harm the good bacteria in the nitrogen cycle? I dont have a hospital tank so i may have to take a gamble.

Thanks for everyones feedback

:lol:

I did say don't muck about

If you temp is 27C just treat with Methylene blue 1%, treatment method is on the bottle.

Do 30% water change per day with water at the same temp as tank and top up with Methylene blue 1%.

Keep this up untill disease is gone + a few days.

P.S don't miss the water changes, gravel syphon at the sametime every day or second day. This will help remove 1 of the cycles of white spot that can not be treated.

Keep this up untill disease is gone + a few days

It is always recommended to treat a few days after the last of the spots are seen on the fishies. It is after they leave the fishies bodies that the med kill them.

Hope everything goes well! When I had my very first fishies, my goldfish got Ick, luckily it wasn't too bad and only affected him. This time, WOW...my poor neons...how any survived, I just don't know :-?

Everything was going well (3 days after all spots had dissappeared) with the med but i woke up this morning to a patchy coloured dead BN catfish :( . I'm guessing it reacted badly to the med - he was looking slightly off colour yesterday.

Has anyone else had this problem?

because BN are 'scaleless' they can often react badly to meds, normally a half dose is used on tanks containing BN, other plecos, clowns, khulis etc. it could have been something else, perhaps bacteria on the substrate or something?

ok. Well i used full dose but my khuli seems fine - I'm thinking that i fed the b/n peas and maybe they absorbed some of the med and the bn ate them. Has this every happened before?

Four days after all spots have gone so i might put a carbon cartridge in my filter. Or should i just let the med dilute through regular water changes.

Thanks everybody