Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

dose rate for drontal worming tablets

Featured Replies

I just treated (like 2 days ago) my fish with that exact same amount and they all look great!! now that is after I lost a few but I put that down to the worms and flukes not the meds

And all I wanted to do was give up after losing 5 discus :cry::cry:

If it happens again though I think I will give up!!!!!

Gee I am sorry that i forgot to mention that i had done every test known to man for the water quality. (as this is the norm and it is, was, a discus tank) Also did a 40% water change before dosing.

Still stronlgy recomend not using drontal tabs, unless you are prepared to take what you get!

had the same response as Psyc to using Drontal.I guess worms are gone but so are 20 to 30 fish.Yeah, did the dosing/water changes/testing etc then removed the bodies.Seemed an extreme way to get rid the problem but I suppose it worked.Just starting to restock tank after complete clean out and 1 month of carbon in filters.Don't think I'll try this method again as maybe there is something a little less drastic available!

the probable reason is that it contains two other ingrediants which might react under certain water params etc?

pure prazi is by far the best but i got told it was around $100 a litre, well worth it though! not sure where you get it from, i think its a secret :wink:

hey captian obvious,

I used drontal tabs from vet at dose rate you suggest for a persistant itch on my discus. Had previously tried white spot treatment and formulin. left period in between each treatment so no confusion. left in for 48 hours. All fish subsequently died! It did cure the itch though. Fish went off food and it stripped them of body mucus. Bloody expensive way to learn.

I am too embarrased to say how many fish I lost. Have to start all over again.

:o:o:o

!!!!!!!!

wow, err sorry :cry::cry:

I used VitaPet AllWormer not Drontal though, and none of the fish showed any signs of distress at all??? eck well clearly a bad idea :(

I removed most of mine using a gravel cleaner, adding carbon got rid of the light pink colouration within two days. Only did it once on a main tank, and subsequent times used 1 or 2 pills in my 30L hospital tank.

Haven't had to re-use it since then.

Wow, feel really bad about that :( honestly I didnt have any problems :( :( , after hearing that I guess its best to use Liquid Prazi as suggested and avoid the weird methods :S wonder how big a $100 bottle is.

Wow, feel really bad about that honestly I didnt have any problems

do realise jono that individual fish will react differently to meds, you can have a group which are all the same species and some wont like the meds yet others will be fine. also tank parmaters can come into play.

psyc- if the ich wasnt going away something wouldnt have been right in the tank and perhaps the meds could have just stressed them more? sorry for your loss, its not nice losing fish :(

I have just got Drontal tablets to worm the dog and see that there are different size tablets, one for small dogs to 10 kg with 145mg Pyrantel embonate, 50mg Praziquantel & 150mg Febantel the other for large dogs with a dose of 1 tablet per 20 - 35 kg, with 504mg Pyrantel emb., 175mg Prazi & 875mh Febantel. Could this be the cause of the deaths as using the larger tablets would alter the dose rate quite drastically. Which size tablets are quoted in the recommended dose rates?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.