There's something rotten in my fishtank

jude

And before you ask, no I haven't tested for anything :lol: :lol:

This is my little fishtank at work. I think it holds about 25 litres. I noticed it seemed smelly the other day so did a 25% water change. I checked today and it really stank.

It has 4 or 5 cardinals and 5 harlequin tetras in it and I had added 4 small clown loaches to get rid of the snail problem.

It has a built in filter at the top of the tank and the sponge was disgusting and stank. I have rinsed the sponge out and removed the clown loaches because they've done their job, and because they might have been overloading the tank. I also did another 25% water change but it still seemed a bit whiffy to me.

It has a thin sand base and quite a few plants for a tank that size and its been running smoothly for several months now.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing it and what else I could do about it? The water looks crystal clear although I know thats not an indication of its quality.

Cheers

Jude

a sock?

Underarm..?

dad fish

blue green algae?

If you can wait till the end of next week I am sure you will have a lot of experts to look at the situation Because the fnzas conference is in Upper Hutt Next week.

We can all go down and sniff it for ourselves :lol:

Also look under rocks.. ornaments.. or other fixtures for patches of gravel that have turned black.. (usually very smelly.. anorobic bacteria) due to decomposing food.. or perhaps a dead fish.

You may have disturbed some of it during a water change with the siphon.

Bill.

Ummmm

I don't think there are any dead fish but I will take everything out tomorrow to check- my receptionist counts them every morning - she's fascinated by the tank. When I arrive at work I get a report on how many there are and if they are doing anything unusual.

There is only a very thin layer of sand and no black areas that I can remember but I will have another good look and I will take everything out to see if I can find a body somewhere.

There's no ornaments apart from a small piece of driftwood with java fern on it and it smells ok. I took all the rocks out about a week ago so the snails couldn't hide from the loaches ...... :lol:

The fish look ok at this stage but there's definitely something wrong in there

Thanks everyone

Jude

Witha tank that small it's also easy to over feed... Check that your receptionist isn't sneaking then extras. I discovered that my flatmates was doing this "Because they looked hungry" lost a few fish before I discovered the issue. :(

you dont feed them shrimp pellets do you?

my first thoughts were the food or anerobic bacteria, that smells like sulfur *holds nose*

when was the last time you cleaned the filter out? perhaps it was just so gunky it was stinking everything out and now it might clear up?