Is this okay

radu

Hi

Can someone please tell me do I have to be concerned if one of my goldfish seems to be releasing a stringy white cobwebbie poop. It is different from what my others are doing. I have had the fish for approx just over a week and it is not as outgoing as the others and today have found that it is producing this poop. Thanks

if it is stringy, white/clear with segments that would very likely be tape worm (i think thats the one with segments). i am unsure if goldfish can get hex, but i assume so and when they have this the fish produce a white stringy poop also, but without the segments. either of these two will not go away by themselves and will need treatment, either worming or a dose of metro in the food/water.

what have you been feeding your fish lately? is it possible it could just be the food or undigested bits?

either way it would be best to quarentine it for a while until you can get this sorted.

good luck :)

Hi

Thanks for the above info, I am happy to quarantine the fish as I have a hospital tank. Can someone please let me know what to use and the dosage for worming if that is required for a 50 litre tank, as my hospital tank takes 50 litres of water. I believe that in the past the fish was feed on dry food and I have given it peas and Brine shrimp since it has been with me. Also, what is metro?? Thanks

To worm just get a dog worming tablet grind up a 1/4 or 1/8 of it and mix with fish food. suggest you treat the whole tank all the fish probably have them now and it wont harm anything else in the tank to treat them all.

Hi

Thanks again really helpful info, I feed them bloodworms daphnia, peas and brine shrimp. All is frozen, so do I let some of their food defrost and mix it in? Will the worming tablet cause any probs to the water/biological filter? and can I use a drontal dog worm tablet? If I worm them is it okay for the worms to be shed in the tank and should I vaccum the tank to try to get the dead worms out?? (Sorry, if I might be asking silly questions but I am new at worming fish).

Is it a good idea to worm fish at times (like you worm dogs) as I have another tank too, so should I maybe also worm that tank as well??

drontal is the stuff everyone uses so good guess there :D i am not sure what the specific ratio is for the pill tofood so hopefully someone else can help you with that one.

if it is tape worm you will see the worms lying on the bottom once they have been shed, you wont be able to miss them. i would suggest cleaning the bottom, i dont know much about TW but just incase their bodies contain egg sacks or something nasty like that.

alot of people worm certain fish every so often, ive seen anything from the 3 month- once a year used. quite a few people even worm any new fish they aquire when it is in quarentine.

now, im not too up on golfish poop but could it be the daphnia causing the wierd looking poo? i have been told it is like a laxative. however if it is long and stringy then that probably wouldnt be from food. just thought id ask you guys :wink:

metro (metrondiazole (sp)) is used for treating instesinal flagellites (heximita). it would be best to try and find out exactly what the problem is as you dont want to medicate for something they dont have aye :)

p.s. if you add your location to your profile perhaps someone in your area may be able to come around and have a look if they know about this stuff :bounce:

loads of questions.....

no wont harm anything else in the tank (including bio filter, plants, etc etc)

mixing with some defrosted frozen food is a good idea, just make sure all the fish get some

only treat when you can see a problem or as part of QT'ing a new fish (again no harm treating the whole tank when you add a fish if you dont QT)

yes treat all you tanks, the worms can transfer on nets etc

you wont be able to see anything to clean up, but would be a good idea to do a water change the following day

Sharn, you could be right, I have never seen any worm bodies after treating but aways treated as soon as I saw a problem so maybe they hadn't gotten big enouogh to see. I just assumed they were broken down in the fish before being passed.

im not sure about that, while salt added to a tank can help with the whole osmotic stuff salt baths are normally only used for external parasites (as far as i know), the epsom salts will be a laxative.

not disagreeing, just asking as i might be able to learn some more :)

Hi

Okay am willing to try a salt bath, is it okay to do that to a Ryukin goldfish though?? Also, can someone please give me the exact dosage and time to leave the fish in the salt bath? Thanks

First good to see someone who likes quality fish.

Did you get it from iloveoranda?

I put a handful of seasalt/rocksalt in about 4ltrs and wait till the fish goes side ways, then put immediately in a tank with very good clean water to the main tanks water parameters. Leave for a while in there until it has settled, slime coat has covered again.

There are quite a few sites around with detailed procedures.

Did you get a breeding pair and few extras.

I've got a few available soon.

Hi

Gosh this is so good to have help, I feel like I am pretty much alone when it comes to learning and I don't have anyone to actually talk to about things. I live in J'ville in Wgtn. Yes, I did purchase the Ryukin from Iloveoranda, just asked him about the poop and he said not to worry though. But still would like to make contact with someone if pos to talk over things and get ideas about my setup. Have learnt alot but also lost a few fish over the time, too many for my liking to be honest. Can anyone tell me what they think about Nitrate levels for goldfish I took a reading last night and saw that it registered around in between 10 - 20 hard to tell exactly and what are the symptoms that the fish would show if the nitrates are too high?? thanks

I think you will find the breeders give a salt bath prior to breeding in order to reduce the external parasites which the adults can resist but the fry cannot. Many of the other meds which also do this can also cause temporary sterility. I think you should treat for internal parasites as previously suggested.

not to worry now aye? a whole forum full of total fish nuts :lol:

i was thinking that too alan- like how alot of people treat discus for flukes etc prior to breeding.

a nitrate reading of 10-20 is ok, i try not to let my tanks get over 20 but im a bit of a nitrate freak now :oops: (i have two tanks i have to keep below 10). up to 40ppm is acceptable, 40ppm is pretty high though. keeping the water nice and clean while your goldies are having probs will help them heal alot better so extra water changes wont hurt if you have the time. high nitrates often make fish erratic, scratching and flashing etc, probably a few other symtoms too.

i would still treat for worms, it cant hurt at all and if they havent been treated in a while its a good idea. im not sure if iloveoranda worms their fish or not? perhaps it would be good to ask?

i think a few people live in J'Ville, perhaps one of them might be kind enough to pop around to see if they can help. good luck!