Filter Cartridge - When to change

Fishkeepa

why are you using carbon?? unless you have been medicating or are trying to get the water clear you dont really need it.

the reason the answer to your question changes so much is because carbon is like a sponge and fills up only as fast as there is something to fill it. It you have low amounts of chemicals in your tank it could last for months, or if you were say trying to remove medication you migt change it every day or two.

Also be aware with leaving it in to long, once it gets full of a chemical it will start to leach out again

Sorry i got it wrong it is a sicce filter cartridge. one of these

SicceSharkFilterCartridge.jpg

I had a replacement and there was grey/black stuff comming out of it which i thought was carbon (unless it is) So this could change things a bit. I got the carbon idea because it said carbon cartridge on the animates product barcode.

as long as you rinse them good and shake them clean in your tank water when doing a water change they will last along time. When I used these filters I only got a new one after I cleaned it and then would shake it to see if the media inside still moved, if it didn't make a sound I would buy a new one.

So do most of you not run carbon in your filters?

Now would be a good time to learn the right thing to do as I received my new filter today,rinsed it all and put it back together.

Please let me know so I can take the carbon out,it will be cycling a fresh tank if that makes amy difference.

Should I not have it in my tank that has been established for 10 months?

You can buy it at your LFS, it's called Filter Wool, comes in a few different size bags. It's just a sheet of stuff like you would use for Quilting, or the stuff the cats rip out of the middle of our cushions! Which you can get at a sewing shop like Spotlight or Arthur Toye.

There is also a compressed version at the LFS, like it's been ironed flat - don't know how this would go, seems to be less surface area, and possibly would clog quicker.

I don't know which is the cheaper option, furniture stuffing, or the stuff at the LFS. Perhaps its what is handy at the time, and whether you want to drive around and look for other stuff.

Do they put mould inhibitors in the furniture and cushion stuff?

The filter wool in LFS is way more expensive though. I have always used dacron and mine is very old now. I know newer stuff often had fire retardant in it which isn't good but I have not heard of anyone having trouble with it.

A wool shop might have it but so would any sewing shops or any places selling material.

your shark filter will have heaps more throughput if you leave out the carbon, i have one years ago on FW tank, and the carbon section clogged up every few weeks, almost stopping the flow. you can get media bags for carbon, just place one if these in an area with a bit of flow if you decide that you want to run it.

what i really dont understand is why the water pretty much does a boycott of the sponge. see image (red is the water flow) S is sponge and C is Carbon cartridge

filter.jpg

Also if i take out the carbon im guessing that alot of bacteria live in there would that mean more water changes untill it settles again?

I agree Carbon is an added expense not required all the time

I use it only whgen removing meds and when cycling a new tank as it si good at keeping ammonia levels low

Also be aware with leaving it in to long, once it gets full of a chemical it will start to leach out again

This has proven to be incorrect as carbon will not release anything unless it is refired at an extremely hot temp causing it to be Reactivated

one bad thing with carbon though it is a really good breeding ground for Bacteria and is linked to some very dangerous diseases in humans

also 90% of carbons usefullness it used up in the first 48 hours

so it does need to replaced very often to keep it at its most productive

Brad