Another From Upper Hutt

SpidersWeb

Hey everyone,

My name is Jonathan, or Jono for short, and am just getting back in to the hobby again. Finally got my tank setup properly, so thought I'd say hello and post a quick picture. Within about a week this forum has shown to be invaluable to me already. Big thanks to Blueandkim for lending me some guppies for tank cycling, and a big thanks to everyone who helped me track down my lovely Firemouths last weekend.

The pictures below are of our new 4ft tank. On Monday the old 4 foot tank dropped its centre brace (bad design) and developed a nice front glass 'bow'. So we hurried the new one in to place, and it looks fab. The old one will be repaired, and setup at a later date.

We have in the tank, 10 guppies, 2 angels, 4 convicts, and 6 Firemouths. Also found out as part of a present, my girlfriend has ordered me in two Gold Severums, which means two things, I had better return those guppies and I am gong to need to fix that old tank ASAP.

Anywho, here it is:

IMG_0837.jpg

Hi SW,

Welcome to the FNZAS Forums, great to have you here, lots of wonderful knowledgable people here, that will be only to willing to help you out if you have a problem, no matter how big or small. :roll: :roll:

Great talking to you in the Chatroom last night, we always have loads of fun in there, and just never know what we will end up talking about. :wink::wink:

Love ya tank, looks great. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Happy Fishing

Lynda

Convicts seem to have laid eggs already! One pair is fanning a rock, I can't see the surface, but for the last 30 minutes at least one of them has been sideways the whole time, one leaves the other partner joins in.

I know the challenge is getting them not to breed, but I only got them as random selections from Hutt Pets last Saturday, so can't be doing too bad of a job :)

i think it was caryl that said 'cons that dont breed in the bag on the way home are slow' and its true alright, now theyve started they wont stop :lol: probably best to try find someone with a clown knife or something like that who will appreciate the live food or might just have to cull them yourself cause youll have em coming out ya ears soon enough :D

• 2 weeks later...
Are firemouths a chilid?

Yep, both Angelfish and Firemouths are cichlids. They're just on the friendlier side of the family.

Here is some video, I'm having a hoot making these little clips, but you can see the problem I'm having with the angels :lol:

http://www.starion.co.nz/video/MVI_0857.AVI

http://www.starion.co.nz/video/MVI_0858.AVI

Firemouths are still too young, they're not territorial nor aggressive yet, but the largest does the occasional harmless chase to indicate dominance. They're starting to play with their throats more and more and occasionally you get a display after a bloodworms feeding. I'm just never holding the camera when they do it.

When older they'll pick favourite rocks and defend their small areas. They dont really bite, they just 'flare up'. They don't seem to have any problem with any fish in the tank, only reason I wouldn't put them in a community situation is because they will suck up anything that fits in the mouth.

:oops: I spelled cichlids wrong :oops:

They're starting to play with their throats

What does that mean????

I see your angels like to be in the movies :lol: are you their agent or do you have to hire someone :lol:

I'm definately not using the correct terminiology here, but here goes:

When cichlids challenge each other they flare their kills and stand tall, to look bigger. Firemouths have a large gill cover that they bring out, its bright orange (hence Firemouth) which makes them look much larger and more scary.

Older they get, bigger the gill cover gets.

When mine get excited e.g. water change or bloodworms bonanza, instead of just chasing each other around the tank, they will do one-on-one battles where they basically flare out their gill covers and spin in circles until somebody gets tired. Looks quite cool.

I've got an Angel that seems to REALLY hate my Firemouths, and got to watch an Angel vs Firemouth stand-off today (nobody was injured, just looks awesome).

they will do one-on-one battles where they basically flare out their gill covers and spin in circles until somebody gets tired

dont ya just love that :lol: any chance you could try get a pic of em flaring? the mirror trick works just as well for a few photos :wink: