New Filter

GeeTee

I am setting up a 5 footer and am buying a new filter for it.

To seed the new filter I am going to run it in the original tank for a week.

Is there any advantage running the original filter in the new tank for that week to start the cycle process?

your filters hold alot of bacteria so if you want to seed your new tank its real handy to let your new filter run on your old tank for a while, i let mine run in for about 2 and a half weeks but im not sure if theres any rules as to how long it takes to seed a filter :lol: im not sure how much it will speed it up (i was switching over my filters so didnt have to cycle my tank) but it will definatly kick start the bacteria processes, i wouldnt go dumping a heap of fish in there, maybe once youve got the filter run in and onto your new tank chuck some fish food in each day to keep the bacteria fed and growing then slowly add your new fish so you dont get large spikes.

if you can chuck some old filter media into your new filter that will help instead of just letting it get its own gunk... explained that badly but oh well :lol: hopefully you get what i mean :oops:

If you can take some media from the old filter and place it in the new filter this will greatly help you out

If this isnt possible then i would leave the new filter longer then a week and it takes anywhere from 4 -6 weeks for a filter to colonize bacteria

But this also depends on how well stocked the old tank is compared to the new tank

The filter will only grow enought bacteria to clean the tank in its present state and a differnce in load will affect the filter when it goes onto the new tank

Brad

You could rinse (lightly) the media from the old filter in the new tank and use the new filter to clean it up. This will distribute the bacteria you want throuout the tank and not just in the filter.

This is also a good idea but only lightly do it in the new tank and make sure the PH, Temp and there isnt any chlorine in the new tank when u squeeze the filter material into the new tank

This will help as well as doing all of what has been said b4

Better to be safe then sorry

Brad

Put as much of the old water in as you can, in addition to the seeded filter and you should have no problems.

John

I have often wondered about this, some people say not to clean your filter bits in fresh water, only tank water because it kills the bacteria. So what happens when you put your seeded filter into mainly clean water?

Whereas others say that they clean their bits in fresh water, to no ill effect?

The clean tank water would already be de-chlorinated. And if dirty gravel...have been done to new tank to, you'll be alright. Old water dosen't hold much bacteria, but does have extra chemicals...from coming from an established tank.

The rinsing filter under tap water being a big no no, comes mainly from overseas where chlorine & chloramines are used to treat the water. eg; I remember when I first moved to Australia , when I had my first shower all I could smell was chlorine. eeewwww.

Frenchy :D

I always rinse my filter media from my external Eheim under the tap but with some conditions:

Christchurch water is not chlorinated

Only rinse lightly and leave some residue

Only rinse when flow is restricted severely and restriction is not in the pipes.

The bacteria will be mainly in the filter media and gravel where the food is rather than in the water.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Well Zev Alan and HFF have pretty much hit the nail on the head. The logic i use is that [for example] if you were upgrading from a 250l -> 500l and you can re-use 200l of old water, I think thats about the same as doing a 60% water change.

So long as you dont go and double the amount of fish you have in the tank (at the same time as you upgrade!) then the filters should cope no problems. Your water parameters - the 'extra chemicals' Hff mentions - shouldnt be sooo diferent that the fish get stressed.

And even tho its tempting... dont go and wash the stones under a hose till the water is clear there aer alot of bacteria in there to ( i am guessing more than in the water)

So if you want to run a small tank with just a sponge filter, say for breeding or growing out, or quarantine with a bare bottom, do you have to seed the sponge filter first, and do you use fresh or tank water, and does it cycle?

Which can't be good for wee fish, surely?

I always have spare sponge or internal filters running in my main tanks for use in quarantine tanks or when setting up another tank. Then they are ready to use immediately.

I use water out of the main tank too.

me too :) you can hide them behind your plants/decor too if you have em to keep them out of the way. when i first set up my sponge filter i just got a clean coarse sponge and some filter floss from my filter so it was a bit dirty and already had some nice bacteria and also filled the tank with the other tanks water, fish went in straight away (was a quarentine/spare fish tank) i monitered everything and i had no spikes as i was a bit wary :wink: