New Big Tank Coming

lowndsie

I've finally decided that I need a big tank to complete my collection. Over the next month or so, I'm going to slowly start putting ideas together and I'm hoping to get some feedback from the people on here.

The inspiration to setup a big tank has come from my long time wanting of a native australian fish tank. So far I'm thinking of maybe a couple of bass and an eel tailed catfish. Hopefully I'll be able to fit a few more in as well.

I've decided to get a 96x24x28inch tank which I've worked out should hold about 1050 litres.

Filter wise, Im thinking of the fairly new Fluval FX5 Giant. I've got most things planned out in my head atm but I'm not sure about the heating of such a large tank. I live in a fairly cold climate and it will need at least some heating to keep the temp around the 20 degree mark. Would 2 300watt heaters be ok? or what are the alternatives for heating large tanks without going overboard on the costings?

I am planning to put some rocks in the tank as well but I'm not sure of what would be considered as too heavy a rock for the glass bottom. Any help is much appreciated.

An auckland member was selling a similar tank not too long ago on TradeMe and if it wasn't such a hassle to ship down to WGTN it'd be in my living room already. Nice plans and would be great to have such interesting native freshwater fish. The little prehistoric NZ natives are all cold water and not very attractive or entertaining. I run a FX5 and highly recommend it.

As for the rocks, it all depends on the thickness of the glass base, what bracing you will have and what stand/support the base will have. I recommend lots of support and a layer of poly both under the tank and under the substrate with a rocky tank that large. The idea will be to spread the weight as much as possible to avoid damageing the glass.

Thanx for the info guys.

Never heard of putting poly inside the tank as well...I work for a whitegoods company so we have heaps of spare foam anyways. Does the poly change the water properties at all?

Does anyone know what sort of heating setup i would need for a tank this size?

Poly doesn't seem to change anything but it will slowly berak down over many years.

One of our club members used a hot wire to gouge out caves and shapes then siliconed gravel to it. Looked great (but was very heavy). Do the work outside too or the smell will get you.

I think an FX5 will circulate it plenty :) Output in the middle with one nozzle pointed in each direction...

I'd get 3x 300W stainless steel heaters. Heck, you might even have the top-end titanium heaters over in OZ... haven't seen them here in NZ yet. These are particularily useful with large fish as they won't get destroyed from chewing or knocking, no damage from rocks falling on them and the external control module is VERY handy as reaching in a tank that size is a bit of a mission.

I'll keep an eye out for those titanium heaters.

Ok, I've worked out my budget and I still have 2 more weeks before I can order the tank. Is there any last minute things that I could be overlooking?

The stand was one near thing. I was going to order the 600mm high one but from what I can gather it'd be a bloody tight fit with the fluval fx5 under it. Will go the higher one instead.

Yup, 600mm is minimum and you'd be dragging out the FX5 any time you wanted to connect or disconnect a hose as they attach vertically. Be sure and have enough 1" hose to reach a window to use the FX5 for water changes. Should take you about 2 minutes to drain 100L using the filter to pump it out.

If you can't get the titanium heaters the SS ones work just as well. Other things to think about.... hmm, is your floor strong enough to support the weight of the tank? Household insurance - NZ Insurance companies require you to tell them if you have a tank over 600L. Lighting - you can figure this out on your own...

Think just about everything is covered. Time to go fishing and get some critters for that tank!

Speaking of fishing, I'm finding it hard to decide wether to buy the fish or to catch them. If I catch them from the river, wont they be more shy and inclined to hide all day? If I buy them, then they'll be small for ages and it might seem silly with an 8 foot tank with 3 inch fish in it!

Havent decided either way yet.

Is 10mm glass ok for the sides and front / back of this size tank?

Hey mate that sounds like an awesome tank

If you wanted to go the FX5 let me know ill give you at a great price

also for the heating side of things i wouldny go for 2 300watt heaters as this will be expensive on the cold nights but to go for a decent quality heater

Jager(Ehiem) make a 300 watt that does heat 1000litres

i use one here on my 1800l tank and it still does the job though it doesnt get very cold inside my shop

Jager heater sells four around the $70 mark but ill help u out with that as well if you like 3 year warranty shatter proof glass auto cutout if u accidently leave it out of the water

You cant go wrong

Brad

Woohoo. I just picked up an FX5 for an excellant price at a new store that just opened up near here. :D

And there also a slight change in the tank size. I've now decided to go with a 244x76x76cm. I've worked out that it should hold approx 1415 litres. I fiqured that for a small increase in price it was well worth it.