My New 4Ft

dee_jay_01

Hey all.

I have just recieved a tank of a friend that had 2 large cracks, one up the end and one up the back of the tank.

We have fixed these cracks by applying 2 sheets of glass over the area with nearly 2 tubs and a half of silicon. We have filled the tank to the top and left it outside for about 3days without the centre brace and about 2 days with the brace with no signs of re-braking, warping or leaking.

Here is my link to my photobucket site with the pictures of the tank, and soon to be occupants.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/d ... Tank/?sc=6

I am debating if I will build a sump or use standard power heads.

As the tank will be situated in our bedroom, and the noice factor is in consideration.

The tank is going to have live plants (unsure what ones) and some fakes, as well as a Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs theme, with a skelleton in a glass coffin and a sign above it saying "STILL WAITING" and some Black Barbie hair siliconed in the coffin.

It will have a little Cottage beside it with some little figurines, and some head stones made from slate around the tank. I still have to make the coffin, I will be putting some silicon on the top edge of the coffin and rounding it off to reduce the chance of any fish cutting themselves.

The swimmers in the tank are going to be:

My 2 new Elephantnose Fish (Gnathonemus petersii), (As the Reapers)

3 Red Forest Jewels (If my two in the Hospital survive),

One adult Female Convict and some baby convicts (about 1-2cms long), I have 2 Females she is the weaker of the two for having babies,

Some Sailfin Mollys,

One Rainbow Shark (7cms),

Two Pakistani (YOYO) Loaches,

About six Little Bristlenose catfish (3-5cms) and one adult male BN.

Hand full of Tiger Barbs,

Hand full of Albino Widow Tetras

And maybe some neons not sure yet.

I wont have the tank going for atleast 1month or more yet, just letting the silicon cure a bit more before we use the tank, although we know it wont leak or break.

If anyone can give me some ideas on some plants that look like it would suit a grave yard style tank, it will be appreciated, (no technical names please, just common names).

And any other types of fish that will also suit.

I will update my Photobucket with more pics as the tank progresses.

Creepy, Freeky, Different.

Thats what I like, I dont like standard tanks, or heavily planted tanks. The only place I will be placing plants is up the end with the cracks and a few down the other end, as well as a few caves either end for the Elephantnose fish to hide in.

And maybe a bit of driftwood for the Bristlenose Cats.

In the long run I will also be adding Red LEDS with flasher unit to the eyes of the skelleton I have seen this done and it looks awsome.

I am also considering an undergravel filter not so much to clean the tank but help clean the gravel for me.

I will be using 3mm Gravel from my local Landcapers.

DJay, am I correct in assuming your repair was done by putting the patches on the outside of the tank??

If so you could be in for a big problem.

Called "leaky tank syndrome"

If the water can find a way into the crack, it will follow it down to the outer edge and then the ominious drip, drip, drip.

To repair that, all you had to do was to remove the coving bead down to the base.

Put a bead of glue aroung the perimeter of the patch and also on the base of the tank where the patch will fit, then just to be more security conscious, a bead down the crack.

Apply the patch, and squeeze ot as much air as possible from between the patch and tank.

Finish the edges of the patch of with a wet finger swipe.

Leave 48 hours then refill.

Alan 104

Hey DJ, cool idea.

I think it will look awesome.

The only plant I can think of will be some java fern around the coffin and graves. Java fern has a nice creepy look to it.

Keep us posted.

Cant wait to see pics, especially a night shot or 2

Cheers

W

DJay, am I correct in assuming your repair was done by putting the patches on the outside of the tank??

If so you could be in for a big problem.

Called "leaky tank syndrome"

If the water can find a way into the crack, it will follow it down to the outer edge and then the ominious drip, drip, drip.

To repair that, all you had to do was to remove the coving bead down to the base.

Put a bead of glue aroung the perimeter of the patch and also on the base of the tank where the patch will fit, then just to be more security conscious, a bead down the crack.

Apply the patch, and squeeze ot as much air as possible from between the patch and tank.

Finish the edges of the patch of with a wet finger swipe.

Leave 48 hours then refill.

Alan 104

Hey Alan that is what we did. We removed the whole end and side, applied silicon to the crack and and clamped together. We then applied the patch and also clamped that into place to remove the air bubbles.

We have had it full for almost 1 week now with no nasty supprises. I have been checking the cracks and patches with a bright torch for any leaks so far there has been none.