Mollies sitting on bottom

Fishkeepa

were fine 5 o clock now two of three are sitting on the bottom one appears to have ragged fins but other wise i just carried out a water change and water chem is good. There is a small medium and large. the small is lying on its side and the other vertically on the bottom. The medium swims up to the top but the larger one harrases it. I have them floating in a plastic container with compartments. I have added some stress coat. will they suffer from oxygen depletion in there. It is a small takeaways styled container with two compartments and about 77cm sq of surface area per compartment.

Any help

are they just resting? (Please be, I hate losing fish)

thanks

they are in a planted community aqaurium carried out a water change on sturday thats about it. There are

3mollies

2angels

2glowlights

4neons

1bristlenose

1ottocinclus

It is slightly over populated i have the internal filter creating ripples on surface. I brought as a complete set up a few weeks back.

the small mollie swims around then sits on bottom and is breathing moderately fast medium mollie is the same. I think they have been attacked by the other molly

:evil:

is the larger molly a male and the other two female ? if so it could be trying to mate and the smaller maybe immature females are not ready.

Also when you did the wter change did you uses anything to take the clorine out of the water ?

Airation is the other thing that comes to mind but it really is hard to say from what you have said,

Sounds like you have done about all you can unless someone else can add something, where in Wellington are you there might be a member close that could come around and give better advice once he's seen the fish.

im in Island Bay

but they are all male as all have gonopedia smalls condition is deteriorating i think as it is now spinning as it tries to swim

Thanks for your help Billaney

really hard to say but its happened so quick almost as if somethings affected its brain , like a worm or something , i know not a lot of help but make sure there in quaentine to protect your other fish....another water change would also not hurt. Good luck

I gather it is just the mollies in trouble and all other fish are fine?

They need to be separated and the lower water level in the container you have put them in will help them rest. Do regular but small water changes in the container.

yes i tried putting the medium molly in the main tank and hes doin ok the smaller one got bullied so hes back in the container :( so because my tank is overstocked i will most probably end up giving the largest away or swap for a female or a glowlight cos one of mine died.

I had a problem with my mollies sitting on the bottom and swimming funny and stuff and it turned out that the water temp was too high (26) so i turned it down to 23 and now they are fine!

i lost a lot of mollies before i realised this! :oops:

maybe you should check the temp?

mines sitting about 27oC and it has since i brought everything as a complete setup a month ago

UPDATE: My small mollie was is the container yeaterday 3:30pm i went out and came back it was gone! i've checked behind everything and everywhere and have come to the conclusion that my angel must have eaten it :evil:

However my medium black molly has some green stuff on its first dorsal ray (where it was nipped) is this fungus? should i treat with fungicide?

Cheers for all the help guys and girls/gals (if you like that way)

I found the lil molly it had died under a cave ornament. :cry:

But now as i said before the med. molly has a cut on its fin and its dorsal fin is ripped

Will that heal by itself? i've added some stress coat to the tank and its doing ok apart from those two damges

Thanks for help

despite my efforts i woke up this morning to find him sitting at the bottom of the container and breathing heavily. He did not take food and has since ceased to be. I have tried my hardest but i think it was too little too late. :cry: Cheers for all your help it is great to have a place to ask these types of questions. I think this is just one of the challenges a beginner has to go through.

Sorry about your losses, I know its hard to loose our little fishy friends.

But, the fact is sometimes no matter what we do, they will not make it...but be proud that you did everything you could to help them :bow::bow: