AR980

Billaney

Hi

I would just like to get a quick idea on what i'd need to do if i wanted to turn this AR980 210L freshwater tank into a salt water tank, thinking of just a few fish and corals nothing major but is it possable and what new equipment would i need ?

I have 2 spare canister filters and the tank also has a built in filter.

Sorry for the silly question but i know so little about marine tanks and was just dreaming. :)

Thanks

Hey Billaney

I always thought a marine tank would only ever be a dream. Than I said to myself oneday, just do it! :bounce: :bounce: glad I did now.

I have the 850, when it was fish only we used the existing filter that came in the hood plus we also used the Jebo 819 cannnister filter, plus we added a pump to create water movement in the tank. The fluoro lighting was changed from the stock standard that came with the tank.

A few rocks and sand in bottom and thats it.

I so desperately wanted an anemone for the clowns. So changes had to be made. The complete top that came with the tank (filter and lighting) was removed. We now have a hanging Aqua one MG 1000 mixture halide and fluoro (gave up waiting for my partner to make one) The jebo 819 cannister filter, pump for water movement.

I dont used a skimmer or a sump, those will be used when the big tank gets under way.

initially, you could get away with:

some rock

a cheap-ish skimmer

a couple of grunty powerheads for current

any maybe use a canister for carbon - dont use them as you would on a freshwater tank, with all the filterwool bioballs etc.

if i was starting again, i would avoid sand for the first few months, and have heaps more current in the tank, along with as good a skimmer as i could afford - try to get one second hand.

LOL Caryl, I was thinking the same thing - if he's well enough to dream about more tanks, he's well enough to work :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was also a bit worried that it might be Adele's cichlid tank he's talking about :roll: :roll:

Jude

I would sell the AR980.

Lets assume you get $400 for it. That would get you a new 3ft tank with overflows ($150ish), a sump tank ($100) and a return pump (Pondmaster of some type). Then you just need a stand.

The return pump would supply your initial flow in the tank. More than enough to establish the tank with rock and a few fish. You can then add lighting and a skimmer later as well as another pump or two for flow.

If you use the AR980 and stick with marine, I guarentee you end up throwing the filter and lights away. Leaves you one expensive glass tank and a wheatbix stand.

LOL Caryl, I was thinking the same thing - if he's well enough to dream about more tanks, he's well enough to work :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was also a bit worried that it might be Adele's cichlid tank he's talking about :roll: :roll:

Jude

:D:) I'm back at work 3 1/2 days a week and as of the week after next i hope 5 1/2 days a week on light duties so i'm getting there but your right too much time on my hands makes me want to do something ....lol :roll: :roll: :roll:

I would sell the AR980.

If you use the AR980 and stick with marine, I guarentee you end up throwing the filter and lights away. Leaves you one expensive glass tank and a wheatbix stand.

I totaly agree, very nice tanks, i have AR620t.

My lights and filter are out in the garage collecting dust.

If i could start again i wouldnt buy an Ar tank, definately go for a tank with an overflow and sump.

Then again, you already have the tank, so if you are keen then,

Hob skimmer, loose the top filter.

Live rock, a couple of good power heads.

As for light i will leave that to the pros :lol: i will be getting a halide for my tank soon, at the mo i have two aquaone AL20D lights(easier access than the standard hood), but dont have any corals.

Hope this helps, you wont be dissapointed either way, i put off going marine for years, and wish now i had done it earlier.

Here is my tank so far

My tank