My New Fishtank + pics + Hello to all **newbie**

WalterRC

Hi there chaparoonies or is that fisheroonies?

I'm still new to the hobby, but have had a few tanks before in my life :lol:

I just got my Aqua One AR980 215Ltr tank yesterday, hope to keep this one for a while. Not as big as I wanted but it sure is one sweet looking tank.

Basically I have put in + - 180 Ltrs water, I have lots of gravel, I hope to have alot of real plants one day.

I have put in a new tank dose of the product called cycle. I used the Aqua water ager/conditioner.

Today I bought one big rock type ornament, two fake silk plants, one to the left and one behin the rock cave.

I bought some live plants also, dont know the names.

I added 12 Neon Tetra today for the cycling period of about 2 weeks. Then I plan on adding 2 Angel fish, and then from there I dunno, will see.

My AR980

Tank1.JPG

My Neons

Tank2.JPG

Cheerio from Wellington

W

Hi Walter and welcome. That is very nice of you to add ready snacks, in the form of neons, for your angels. :wink:

Why the wait for real plants? They will help your tank achieve a natural balance a lot faster. If you plant them before adding fish they will have a chance to establish their roots too.

Hi Walter and welcome. That is very nice of you to add ready snacks, in the form of neons, for your angels. :wink:

Why the wait for real plants? They will help your tank achieve a natural balance a lot faster. If you plant them before adding fish they will have a chance to establish their roots too.

ok, I thought ANgels were peacfull? I'm looking for a community fishtank to start with.

Well I had my heart set on Angels, anything I can do?

not sure if cycles supposed to come off the line with beneficial bacteria but it certanly wont have any when it reaches you :( i think its supposed to cycle your tank instantly right? at the most i would say it would provide a bit of food for your bacteria to feed on so would still have to wait out the normal process, takes around a month or so but see if you can get some filter media from another persons healthy tank, it will give things a jump start :)

and caryls right! i had a neon eater who took out 4 neons before i noticed, only one ive come across out of five but if they get big theyll fit them little neons in their mouths alright hehe. gotta remember they are cichlids after all and they will get territorial or agro sometimes but i have found angels are too bad compared to say a jag etc hehe

Hi Walter,

Welcome to the NZ Fishroom.

Pics look great.. but are too large..

Could you please resize the pics as per the guidelines and the info on the NZ Website section. (Posting Pics)

Thanks,

Bill

Mod.

Sorry, I looked at this link http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2406

and this link

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/genera ... um_images/

Nowhere can I see what the maximum size is for pics?

Would you mind and just tell me what the maximum size is and I will edit the pics and resize them.

Thanks

W

A little additional advice...

Try and keep the pictures to 600 pixel width, this will help those with small monitors to see all the picture without having to scroll across.

Also, and most important, try and use a photo program that will let you 'save for web' where the image file size is reduced dramatically (typically not over 100 Kb) why?

Alot of people still use dial up and having to sit and wait while large size pictures load isn't fun and usually peoples patience runs out after around 5/6 seconds!

Monitors also have a maximum resolution for displaying and digital camera pictures are usually way over this limit so the definiton is wasted.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?t=2406

Look I'm not trying to be difficult here, but thats a tip, not a forum rule.

Alot of people like bigger pics. I made it from 1.5MB down to only 125K. I assumed this was way small enough. On a 56K modem it should take 2 seconds to load the pic.

I'll make it smaller anyway, dont want to start a war, I just joined here.

Cheers 8)

Pegasus may be refering to pixel width, rather than file size.

I am not too fond of images that require me to scroll along the horizontal plane to view it in its entirety, but that's just my opinion.

I do have some real plants in. In my pics the only fake plants are the one behind the rock cave, and the one to the left of the rock cave. All others are real.

I am going to some LFS and seeing if there are any more plants I can buy.

I bought Tetra Pond Lily Gro, and stuck one tablet deep underground between my real plants, so hopefully that will provide some goodness for the plants. I will also buy an iron substitute and soon replace the bulbs with the proper bulbs for more realistic sunlight.

All 12 tetra are still alive, will check my PH now.

CHeers

W

Nice tank.

I never had angles but everyone I know that have had them, find missing fish the next day after they get them.

Some Albino Widow Tetras or gouramies are a nice fish for a mixed tank, for cleaning of the tank bristlenose catfish or any pleco.

Here is one of my favorite sites to find compatible fish,

http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/

Should help you out a little

Hi there & welcome!

Nice pics :bow: This is a great site...I'm sure you'll enjoy being here :bounce: :bounce:

Take care,

Caper

Just on the pic thing...when you upload a pic in photobucket and hit edit, at the top of the pic it reads

640x480 - 150 K

So, this is a good size right? I'm always nervous that pics will be too big...I tried reducing by half on that sight, but the pic didn't look any different.

Hi there & welcome!

Nice pics :bow: This is a great site...I'm sure you'll enjoy being here :bounce: :bounce:

Take care,

Caper

Just on the pic thing...when you upload a pic in photobucket and hit edit, at the top of the pic it reads

So, this is a good size right? I'm always nervous that pics will be too big...I tried reducing by half on that sight, but the pic didn't look any different.

A pic of 640x480 should be under 100K, some site or software aps dont compress the pic enough. I simply use MS Paint to compress JPG files. Simply open the file in MS Paint, then hit save, when you look at your file size it will be smaller in size, should be under 100K. Or you need to use an advanced photo compressor and specify the amount of comression manually. You can compress it so small that you cant make out whats going on anymore. I'll post on so you can see what I mean. I will repost my first pic again using extreme compression,

cheers

W

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my Tank.

More Fish. 3 Angels, 3 Catfish and 1 brittlenose pleco.

I have my ammonia down to 0.5, brown algae is now starting on plants, but I'm told this is normal for a new tank.

So far not one neon died during the cycle process. Angels are happy as anything. Wont be adding any more fish for at least a few weeks.

oh, also added heaps more plants.

Those catfish really do a great job of eating fishfood that falls on the floor, its nice to watch then eat.

The pleco has already done a good job of cleaning up some of the algae.

so far so good :bounce:

Extra pic

Tank4.JPG

Another pic

Tank5.JPG

Cheers

W

Your tank looks great, Walter. :D I love your rock cave.

One suggestion - angle your heater more on the diagonal and nearer the bottom of the tank rather than being so straight up and down. This will reduce the chance of heated water rising straight up to the thermostat (turning the heater off prematurely) and will also give you more chance of hiding it behind plants.

Hope everything continues to go well.

MCT