breeding guppys in cold water

bikiegirl

hi ive got 5 pairs of guppy and there r in cold water where i got them from there breeded in cold water what im after is if some can help me with a site or info on breeding the little guys (buggers) in cold water ive breed them in hot water but this is some for my kids to do now so if u can help it wood be great ty

hi will there need to be in a tank on there own or r there ok in a tank with

4 guppys,2 paradise fish ,2 gold barbs,2 peppered catfish,2 zebra danios ,2 white clouds, 4 leopard fish ,2 leopond danois. 2 mussells got a breeding boxs thingy for the females it sticks to the side of the tank is that ok for them ty

I have always found the female guppies hate the breeding traps and get stressed in them. All the fish you have, including the guppies, will eat fry. A well planted tank is best (especially if you can't separate the guppies) with lots of Java moss and water sprite. Plants with lots of bushy, fine leaves. The fry can hide in it and the bigger fish can't reach them.

Guppies reproduce very easily with no special help required. That is why they are also known as the millions fish :D

If you really want babies then I would separate the guppies from the rest of the fish. You need a sex ratio of 1 male to every 3 or 4 females at least, they are not meant to be kept in pairs. Too many males and the females will be harassed to death.

By the way, the danios and barbs are shoaling fish and happier in groups of 6 or more. Keep an eye on those mussels too. They pollute a tank very quickly if the die.

hi one of the guppy had fry today but she only had 9 but out of the 9 there all but 3 died i but she in the breeding traps and i started to have her babies but only 9 is that rihgt i toke her out after about 1 hr of the lost one she had and she not had more as i can she i put her in a new tank on she own just to be on the save side and nothing so i think that it what i wood like to know is y did there die is it some thing i did ????

um i forgot to ask how and when do i feed them and on what ???

Finely crushed flake will keep them happy for the first month , give or take, feed 2-3 times a day should be sufficient, more feeds per day is better

/Bruce

Yes they can be fed from the start. Was the guppy already in the trap or did you put her in just before she gave birth? If you move a pregnant guppy too close to when she is due to drop she may abort the fry. This would explain why so many didn't make it.

pass i just got the trap today and to be silly i but one of the guppys in it and she started to drop on me so i think i did soem thing wroug again umm do u know when i should or what to look for befor she drops i now got 7 females to 3 male the one that just drop in the trap i had for about 2 mths now sorry i was just been silly by putting her in the trap to show the kids how there work and she started to drop her fry in there funny the way it happin lol

If you just ease the trap up underneath her, instead of netting her, she should be OK. Guppies are pregnant for 3 - 4 weeks. The colder the water the longer the pregnancy. When they are near dropping, you can see they eyes of the fry as black dots through her belly.

Something not mentioned above is that the female can rush around during giving birth, and consume (eat) the fry as fast as she is dropping them, (even in a breeding trap) so your lack of numbers could be due to this.

BTW: As the guppies get older they will drop larger numbers.

o ok cool i like this site it help me alot ive now only got two fry but there r doing will but ive not seen them eat so im not sure if there will live but o far so good im happy i got them the breed it bit of a bugger i only got two only of it but it the frist time for me so im happy i got it to work may be next time i get more ty

There's a liquid fry food you can buy from your local tropical fish supplier. There is one type for livebearers (Guppies, Swordtails, Mollies, Platies and such) and another type for egglayers.

Shake the tube well, then mix a couple of drops in tank water and feed to the fish.. they love it. (because it may come out in blobs)

Finely powdered flake food will do the trick as well (for the livebearers)

:cry: hi im not happy now all my guppys died lost night, babys and all. i went to the pet shop to see y and there said it was becouse it was that cold lost night (5) that there lost some to so there said i to put a haeter in the tank and have the water about 12 -15 as it going to get very cold this year do u ppl think it a go thing to do or no as my fish or cold water tropicals and i not to sure if that is good for them plz help

:oops: sorry for the typos spelling not to good as u can see in some of the post on here :oops:

Judging by your tagline, only the paradise fish aren't warm water and I'm not sure about the axolotyls and mussels. You wouldn't have the axolotyl in the same tank as the fish, would you? So, I don't know if they're all in the same tanks or what. But all the fish would probably be happier with a temp more like 20, the paradise fish should be ok in that too though I don't know much about them and can't say about the axolotyl or mussel though.

hi again ty for that the tank is now at 15 with in the next two day im going to get it to 20 the fish love it there r moving fast around the tank and eat better now to one,s the tank is at 20 im going to wait for a week and then add some more guppys and again ty for all ur help

ps; ive still got one guppy left(female) so i hope she will drop soon as now the water is hot ty again i wood not konw what to do if u ppl were not here ty

Bikie, if you put that female into a tank on her own after spawning.

Why did you put her into the trap at all after you had been told that it is detrimental to guppies, and others

I personally can find no useful use for breeding with those traps.

Al :roll: