Test Kits

Kiwiwulf

You will probably get several different answers. Many people don't use test kits until something goes wrong and then they are useful in helping pinpoint the problem.

I use (when I use them at all) pH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite kits. If you are having trouble with your tank or fish and post a question about it, these are the 4 things you will be asked about - along with tank size, type of fish, stocking level and temp.

For the nitrate kits, get the ones that use little tablets instead of drops. Shaking the bottles for a minute, then put one in, shake, put the second in, shake for a minute...Gets a bit...Ummm...Annoying. Seems to give wildly varying results depending on how much you shake too.

Depends on how often you test your tanks, I guess. Is $2 + 15 minutes to drive there, 15 minutes waiting around for them to do the test, 15 minutes driving home every week worth to you? More than a $15 test kit that costs about $.50 or less per test and is done in a minute instead of an hour?

I've thought about getting Animates to test my water, but I don't know what they test for, if it's nothing more than PH, nitrates, ammonia.

Try $20-25 for test kits! Having a test done is a cover for visiting to look at all the aquaria goodies :D

Animates do the basics - pH, Nitrate, Nitrite abd Ammonia. They will do others if you ask: they regard those 4 as the critical ones.

Given my ph is down how can I get it back up?

Another thing that I find is quite useful to test for is carbonate hardness (or KH).

Lets me know how stable the pH is going to remain in the future. The water is quite soft here (~40ppm CaCO3) out of the tap so it pays to keep an eye on it and either buffer it up with sodium bicarbonate or with some sort of form of calcium carbonate that will slowly dissolve keeping the KH (and pH) up (I use bird grit in a stocking).

Slight change of subject. What sort of ammonia test kits does everybody out there prefer? I have been very happy with the Hagen kit which was O.K. until I got a new one and the third dropper bottle had brown instead of clear drops, which wouldn't work at all. I am now using the A.P. kit which is two dropper bottles. It gives a reaction every time, but does so even on good clean tap water and on rain water??? Casey C.

Hi Casey,

Hagen kit which was O.K. until I got a new one and the third dropper bottle had brown instead of clear drops, which wouldn't work at all.

Is this the Ammonia tester? My Hagen kits have 1 bottle for Ammonia (yellow box), 2 bottles in the NitrIte kit (pink box) and 3 bottles in the NitrAte kit (puple box). But yes all liquids are clear.

The Dry Tabs I used before used to show ammonia in all my samples if I used both tabs. I would imagine your kit is the same. There are 2 forms of Ammonia NH3 and NH4. NH3 is toxic to the fish but NH4 is much less so. One bottle will be checking NH3 and the other NH4. Try testing separately. If you get a reaction with the NH3 bottle then panic, otherwise ignore the NH4 unless it is very dark. Also always make sure your test tubes are rinsed out with the water you are about to test and never touch the water in the tube with your fingers otherwise you can get false readings.

P.S. I have 7 tests - my kitchen bench looks like a laboratory on water change days :D

Shilo, Hi! Yes the Hagen freshwater ammonia test kit is the yellow one

with one bottle. I was using the fresh/salt water kit which has an orange pack and has three bottles. I don't know whether the latest couple of kits I bought have been too long on the shelf or what, but they didn't work. :( Yes my bench can look like a chemists shop too! Are we too fussy or too scientific?? Casey.

Animates in Wellington has a set of a bunch, I don't remember how many 6-10, in a gray case. It's kinda expensive though, I think it was $120. But that's less than buying them all and you get a nice convenient case to hold them in.

Are we too fussy or too scientific?? Casey.

Fussy? - Nah, Scientific? - Far from it, But paranoid? - Umm well....

I test for NH3-4, NO2, NO3, PO4, PH, Gh, KH, and CO2 = 3 * KH * 10( 7-pH ). :roll:

Had a 4.9ppm reading on Saturday night (the 1st colour seen since cycling the tank) and realised that my Tetras count was wrong. Found it in the filter system, the poor thing had gone on a hydroslide ride. Its amasing how such a small fish could cause such a large ammonia spike in a 125ltr. A 50% panic water change and Sunday night I had a clear reading again. Ammonia tests do come in useful even in an established tank.

Ira / Caryl

Also saw this kit at Hollywoods in Auck. But I didn't see any replacement bottles so assumed you would have to buy the boxes when a bottle in the kit ran out. Could be false economy in the long run. But then again by buying boxes you end up with 4 pipettes and 6 test tubes you don't need. Can you buy refill bottles?

One of the reasons that I decided on Hagen kits was that you can buy

odd bottles. With the fresh/salt water ammonia kit I always seemed to

run outof bottle three before anything else. So, that extra bottle of 3, allowed me to finish up all the dregs. However, its a mixed blessing, because the price for one bottle is way above one third of the price of a kit! The main reason however is that they use the 'Indophenol' test for ammonia, and I can get that result double checked by our local ebvironmental lab. Most of the rest use the two bottle salicylate method and I have no double check on that. However I do get far more tests out of the A.P. Salicylate kit than the Hagen one.

Casey.

When getting a test kit I would get a good quality test kit as most like hagan and drytab are a waste of money and very inaccurate.

i have seen test done in germany comparing test kits and the results were that the above two were the worst

Try seachem or salifert

I doubt they're off by more than a few percent. It's not like exact accuracy with regards to anything in a fishtank is particularly important. And everything I've read says the dry tab nitrate tests are more accurate.

For those who don't use these kits very much, then I would suggest that the dry tablets sealed in foil would be the only way to go. All the bits of paper in my liquid kits tell me that once you open the bottle then shelf life is a year or less! Its only because I have a LOT of tanks to test that I go with the drops. They sure are a lot quicker than ripping open foil and crushing tablets to dissolve them before making a test. Everyone to his own breed of poisen. Casey.

Animates in Wellington has a set of a bunch, I don't remember how many 6-10, in a gray case. It's kinda expensive though, I think it was $120. But that's less than buying them all and you get a nice convenient case to hold them in.

Will check out the local Animates here. They certainly use a big kit for doing tests: all manner of bottles and tubes

The AP Dry Tab's Nitrite colour chart is graded differently to the Hagens. There colours are also easier to match. This may account for them being more accurate. Not sure about the other Dry Tab verse. Hagen tests. I test weekly (at least) and find the Hagen better value for money. The Dry-Tab refills are around $14 (I think) for 20 tests ($25.65 for starter kit) while the Hagen is $18.70 for 75 tests. If I only tested once a fortnight or monthly then the Dry-Tabs would be my preference.

Casey

Just looked at your profile, your defiantly in a position to do some accurate testing :D Aquarium filtration and commercial waste treatment have a lot in common (expect size!) is there any new treatment processes that can be miniturised for an aquarium?