Fish from the amazon

reef_man

Hello all

I am setting up a four foot aquarium (280Liter) and wanted to go with an amazon theme with rare and expensize fish... i am buying them of phillip (new zealand discus)

does anyone have any pics of these guys...

Pleco Star-Spotted pleco

Leiocassis .ssp Jet Black Bumblebee cats

Panaque L204

Loricaria Bushinose

Spatuloricaria cf Caquetae

Loricaria White Whiptail Catfish

Brown Tiger Whiptail Catfish

Panaque Pink Stripe L204 Catfish

Panaque Clown Stripe L002

Altum Angels

Ancistrus Bushinnose B/Nose

Hemiancistrus

DISCUS

White Pigeon

Green Tiger

Red Stone

Green Sumo

Yellow Pigeon Snake Skin

Blue Sapphire

Red Pigeon Snake Skin

Red Eagle

I've got some Altum angels from Phill, I posted some pics in the cichlid section a few weeks back. Really nice fish, and fascinating to watch how different the wild caught behaviour is compared to "domesticated" ones. Most of my other fish either ignore me or beg for food, these guys watch me like a hawk whenever I'm close to the tank, occasionally "flaring" and flicking their fins if I get too close. I'm guessing it's a territorial warning thing, as they occasionally do it to each other as well.

I've got mine in an amazon style tank as well, with emerald cats, bristlenose and a big shoal of cardinals/neons.

C.

Hi

Is true that Both carry Heximata in the gut. { Protozia ie Bug .Bit like white spot but in side gut.}

A good keeper of fish will properlaticly treat .{may not correct spelling but means you know you have these fish , dont wait to trouble-----------------hit it now..! }

We have good vet supplies and all tho is costly we use flagyal in food to clean them out.

also another Peru shipment in quarantine including MARBLE ALTUM ANGLES.. they are striking in the erectness of fins..Dont ask for list yet as still 4 weeks quarantine and i dont count chickens..

But note for Reef man..i have not received any orders but good idea to contact me ..As to your above list ..remenber the old saying about what goes in the mouth..Well black bumlebee cats will eat all small fish and maybe get whiptails as supper

Cheers Phill :P

A good keeper of fish will properlaticly treat

exactly, a angel fish has just as much possibility of having something that can hurt discus, any fish you put in with them need to be treated for worms, internal and external parasites before coming into contact with your beautiful fishies. alot of people have said by worming them and treating them for hex every 6 months or so they really beef up. its possible to keep the two together you just have to take precautions :wink:

oh marbled altums would look super phill- gunna post some pics on the website? :bow:

Hi reef man,

Due to copyrights I can't go and post all the pictures of the different catfish and discus for you but strongly recommend Google Images for the catfish or planetcatfish.com as mentioned above (by Jammos, methinks).

Now, for the discus you can check the stock list of the company that Phil has imported from in the past. All my discus that I've purchased from him have coloured in true to these examples and even though they may look a bit different when you first get them, give them time to grow and you'll see that they're exactly what you ordered. Nothing but good things to say about Phil, one of the best... you have to be to stay in the game as long as he has!

Oh, here's the website with the discus pix -

http://www.limchareonaquarium.com/discus_stock.html

My only concern is the possible number of fish you have listed and the size of the tank. You list 8 different discus... If you put one of each + the other fish, this size tank will be very crowded. Discus really need 50 litres each minimum to thrive with 100L a better value. I only have 12 in my 1200L tank and it is more than enough. In 280 litres, if you get 1 or 2 pairs there will be havock when they try to breed.

Hi

True about breeding time but thats a very long time away..Most buy like this with the plan to keep what they like best .

sell move some to another tank..

I have a lady that told me later that her 6 discus started in 2 foot tank on coffee table,now custom built tank in wall is 600 Liters..

Many others had one tank now have many..

Fish keeping is Like the common cold ,ya catch it..

:lol:

To posting photo's ,,Have not figured that out yet,Every time i look see something comes up..But will get to it..My web is on pc and seconds to load..So watch it weekly..

Cheers to all Phill Collis

Here are some of the catfish>

L002

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/panaque/735_F.PHP

L204

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/panaque/126_F.PHP

Brown whip at a guess as this is one of the sp. from peru but fairly similar

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/rinelori/744_F.PHP

And the white one is just a bit lighter than those ones above similar to parva.

Hemiancistrus aka peru zebra as NZD is calling it but real name is imperial ranger.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/glyptope/1295_F.PHP

Bristle nose- Highly recommended tho beware they do not travel well CatBrat lost three on the way home with me and that was in 1 hr and mine even looked fairly bad when i got home but hav settled in niceley and look great.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v491/kylefish02/?action=view&current=ancis11.jpg

Spatuloricaria-Please dont get these as they are way to big already for ur tank as i have seen them and they are impressive just not for ur tank.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/spatulor/768_F.PHP

Leocassis sp. here are examples

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/bagridae/G_252.PHP

SO i would have a think and maybe only get max three sp. of loricariidae as will fight and the maybe some discus and what not or maybe some of his apistos which he bought in which are awesome little fish.

cheers Kyle

Hey,

Where in NZ do you live? If you are in the Wellington region, we have a Loricariidae book you can have a look at if you like. However, the sites mentioned (and Google Images) are great resources.

(You should be able to pop your location into your profile :)).

Cheers,

Laura :)

what is the most expensize fish you can buy in NZ because i plan to start miner breeding supplying my LFS with the fry and i wanted to know what is the most expensize fish you can buy? also i plan to keep two differnt species, so realy 1st and 2nd?

Reef_man, you've been asked several times to fill in your location for the benifit of the other members to be able to assist you.

You will find where to add this by going to top line locating "profile" and filling in the appropriate box.

You have also got a PM, Private Message, to find this go to the top line again and click on the "You Have No New Posts"

Why you haven't seen you have one post I don't know.

Maybe you have so just click on that and read the PM.

MOD

Alan 104

Hi

Its up to each collector to pick the types and numbers they want..

We all have different ideas about this,but to sizes of giant whiptails it will take several years to full size even then are not any problem with small fish..The 5 are now in with small Peru Zebra { As to name im not yet convinced they are what you think ,they arrived in England about the same time and feelings there is they are different but most likely the same or simular family..But to nz just another cool Pleco }

And i have found that low numbers are more likely to have fighting than larger.

Just remember as importer we see all fish living ,in large numbers and getting along.

The key to fish is match nature ,ie Panaque need wood same for giant whiptail like to get under it on bright days..

Unless a fish is sick then fighting comes to nothing ,all have own space in tank.

But like i earlier posted we never know the plans of another collector..

To expencive fish..Most unlikey because i had a bankrupt dealer in holland stole my money { interpol now involved } there is a ban on the export of Hyp Zebra it is unlikely that nz will see any real numbers considering now would as importer cost like $usa 500 each for one year old few in nz can afford.and i dont risk that sort of $ again on going to other suppliers.

So L 204 is now as no 2 on world standard..Also many thing they can be breed but if you give any fish the chance to grow to adult in an aquarium then if conditions are right they should breed..

Cheers Phill Collis :P