Tank Wipe Out! :(

Kermit

We had a power cut lasting 11hrs just before christmas, I had purchased a 600w - 850W peak two stroke generator from Super Cheap Autos for $169. We used this to run the main tank pump, a small raido and a bed side light. I did not need to worry about the temp but a 150w would not have been an issuie.

No good if you are not at home.

Is it possible to have an inline divice which will phone your mobile if the power goes off? Simular to a alarm setup. Then all you have to do is contact someone and ask them to start up the generator or reset the RCD.

thanks again guy's, just going to wait and see what happens i've moved some corals into another tank but most if not all my SPS are receeding :( Thanks to Steve for letting me put my corals in your tank and Tim and Chris for offering to help in the moving of the grave yard.

As for insurance cos it's at work it will come down to their insurance so i dont even think i'll bother just rather cut my losses then bother stressing trying to claim insurance.

Yes you can get auto dialler devices we use EDAC diallers on small sites they have digital inputs and can SMS, or play a recorded message that you record another bonus is that they run on 12vdc so a small alarm battery as a backup will keep it going, i should invest in one hey especially since we use then at work :oops: .

Well i have been toying with the idea of a discus tank so it may happen earlier then i planned.

Robert

Sorry to hear that.

I've been there, it was a long time ago, however mine was caused by a cracked front glass.

I still have trouble with the thought of setting up in a big way again and it happened to me years ago.

It certainly is a big set back no mater what the cause.

Pies

So you can come home to a wet floor, a dead fish tank and a lot of noise? How is that going to help.

Well the floor wasn't wet thank goodness, but i know if i had one of these i wouldn't have this post up thats for sure, the alarm doesn't have to sound the siren it can be set as a silent zone so it just dials the number but i would set the keypad buzzer to sound for when your home.

would have saved me $1100 (based on retail prices) worth of live stock and still counting.

How much would it cost to replace your live stock? I know its to late for me but next time i wont take it for granted it could happened to anyone that has an RCD protected circuit guys at work said they had a number of RCD's trip aswell that day.

Kermit - can you program and alarm to detect a power fault on a particualr circut? I'd be surprised, don't seem to be the sort of thing an alarm would do.

$1100 is a lot of money, but the RCD may have prevented death or a house fire, both worth more than a few dollars in fish. But still it would be nice to find a way to avoid it.

Pie

well i'd have a mains failure relay switching the alarm zone so all your doing is setting up another zone to be silent and dial out when the mains failure relay (just a relay) looses power the relay open circuits the zone causing an alarm stat saying hey we've lost power do your thing.

that $1100 is only the value of fish and shrimp i havent even started on the value of the corals yet, may seem small to some but a lot to loose in one go i thought.

heres the EDAC site for people that dont have an alarm.

http://www.edacelectronics.com/products/remote-dialer-solutions/4491/

Robert

Sorry I was just saying the $1100 is not a lot of money compared to loosing your home or your life. The RCD did its job, you can design you tank/system to survive in the event of any outage, single point of failure or power outage. At least this is true for me.

Pie

just going to wait and see what happens i've moved some corals into another tank but most if not all my SPS are receeding

Robert

Kermit I've read a few overseas tank wipeout threads, some of those guys have been pleasantly surprised how many of their corals have come back, at least in part, dead as they may have looked at the time.

Kermit I've read a few overseas tank wipeout threads, some of those guys have been pleasantly surprised how many of their corals have come back, at least in part, dead as they may have looked at the time.

Acros can certainly look dead when they get stressed. Is smelling them a good way to tell? If they don't have that typical nasty acro smell, then I would assume that the flesh is gone (i.e. dead), no?

Well just tested the water levels and so far so good levels are pretty good

tests using Salifert

Amonia undetected

Nitrite undetected

Nitrate 2.5ppm

Ph 8.2

Hmmm wait to the week end and may see if anything appears i think cos i removed all the canage before they started to break down has prevented a major cycle.

• 2 weeks later...