yeeeehaaaaa new tank

evilknieval69

yeeehaaaa

i just bought a tank on trademe for $80!!! 1200 x 450 x 395. its going to be my amazon community sorta tank. with rams, cockatoos, harlequins, maybe discus....... corys etc, etc, etc i cant wait!!!

it doesnt come with anything exept lids. so im gunna need to buy a filter, heater, whatsit, thingymajig and a gazoo...

an external filter would be the ideal, with a couple 100 watt heaters and some BIG lights.

im so exited!!!!

**EVIL**

:bounce:

as i said, an external filter would be best but i dont have the $$. so, i have a jebo 503 HOB filter(supposedly for tanks up to 150Litres) running on the tank the 4 foot will be replacing so i can use that for surface agitation but i need another internal for it. i was thinking i could buy one of these

what are your thoughts

thanks

**EVIL**

We have an aqua one internal filter for our 2ft tank that does 500lt per hour and it keeps the water crystal clear, They are easy to clean except that with our one you cant get into the impellor to easily. And they have to be cleaned often to stop them clogging up with any plant litter.

But other than that they are perfect filters...

ok

it has sum real wierd bracing i would like to sort out. it has 2 long strips going from end to end accross the front and back. it thn has 2 pieces, one on each end, going from the underneath of the front one to the underneath of the back one, glued up underneath. it thn has another front to back one on the side. should be a middle brace but its to the side :D i have nowhere to put cables in and out without takin a piece of the lid out and nowhere to put my temporary HOB filter untill i get a canister!!! i am wanting to cut the back brace off, and glue the side braces to the back of the tank and thn then take out the off centered middle brace and put one IN THE MIDDLE!! :o it is 6-7mm glass and it doesnt have any bottom bracing.

after the alterations it would end up having. a front brace going from end to end across the front of the tank. 2 side braces going from front to back of tank. one middle brace going from front to back of tank. would this hold the water?? it is 1200l x 450w x 400h

i could use the back brace that i take off and stick it to the bottom of the tank ant the back for extra strength!!???!!???!!???

thanks

**EVIL**

never heard of such thing feelers :o:o

ok. back to what i was saying before (it was too confusing)i will put it in a simple way.

my tank is 6mm glass, 1200l x 450w x 400h. approx 215 litres

End braces(going front to back on each end) 6mm glass, 70mm wide

Middle brace(going front to back in middle of tank) 6mm glass, 100mm wide.

this is the bracing i am planning to put on this tank.

the thing i want to know is...will these sized braces hold the tank????

this is glass that i already have so would be cheapest to use it!!! i will need to get new glass cut for the top so i want least cost possible involved!!

The biowheels, are very efficient wet/dry filters. Basicially a spraybay sprays onto a waterwheel like thing, (to make it spin) And the wheel is made of a fabric that the bacteria can live in. The bacteria get dunked, then spin around in the air. Its a really neat idea. :D

http://www.marineland.com/products/cons ... ilters.asp

(The tank sizes on this site are rated in gallons.)

Just a thought!

another update since last visit.

i have cut the old bracing off and removed all old silicone. i have given it a good clean out and i am now ready for siliconing. that will happen tomorrow probably. the glass i got this morning for it looks awesome when i sit it on top. it is slightly tinted which looks cool.

once i start cycling it etc. i will start taking pics and post them on here to keep everyone up to date

thanks guys and gals!!!!

**EVIL**

Sweet, bro. Makes me wonder why I paid some guy $30 to replace one of my braces a few months ago. Ah well, will start on building/repairing my own tanks soon enough. I think I was too spoiled with the curved glass pre-manufactered stands for too long or I woulda started DIYing it sooner.

i have bought selleys glass silicon to do the glueing. it says that it is suitable for making or repairing small aquariums. the man at the shop said that it wouldnt be suitable for making a big tank but it would be sweet for the top braces on a big tank (which is what i am doing :D )

has anybody ever used this silicon and what have you found with it?? is it all sweet?? would it be cool for the top braces for my tank ( sizes above somewhere lol)

i havent opened the packet yet so i can take it back if i need to but it was the only aquarium safe one that i could find local so i would have to go abroad to get another :D

i am planning on siliconing it up tomorrow but i will wait untill i get some feedback from experienced people

thanks

**EVIL**

I've used Fosroc Silaflex RTV (clear only safe for aquariums) to make a hinged lid for my 2ft tank. The hinging bit is only 50mm wide, big enough to feed the hungry critters in my tank, and means you don't have to lift the whole lid and light off to feed them

Seems to be hanging on there ok, the kids give it a hard time, bending it back past the vertical to feed the fish (while I cringe and wait for the silicone to give). I have a 5mm bead of silicone to make the hinge.