tels tank

tel

Has anyone actually tried "cooking" the rocks at really warm temperatures to speed up the bacteria's metabolism?

I would say that 32C would probably be a perfect temperature, although I'd have to look into it, there might be a higher temp that could be beneficial.

I have my rock in the sea, and will be getting to that stage soon, I spose I could run a test to find out if it makes a difference.

Can anyone see any problems with (more literally) cooking them at elevated temps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interupted cycle 7 days ago to do 100% water change....original water was from howick beach and seemed really green, i was going to let tank cycle in it but thought better of it :-? . got @ 1400lts in two trips to takapuna, really nice water and glad i did it. this has prob extended wait time by a couple weeks. 8)

It won't extend the wait time. It was also a good move because letting the rocks sit in dirty water likely containing phosphate will mean the rocks, once cycled, will contain a higher level of phosphate to leach into the tank over time.

before the change Ammonia 1.0 Nitrite 3.5

next day both at 0

3 days later Ammonia 0 Nitrite .25

7 days after Ammonia .375 Nitrite .5

:-? i reckon it has gone backwards due to dumping all the necessary nutrients in the green water...so therefore delayed. really happy i did it as i took out truck loads of crap on the bottom and scrubbed all the rock of algie. im occasionally scraping diatonamous algie off the rocks so it can be skimmed out?? comments appreciated

Hows the tank.?

All your levels will go up. not sure why you would want to do a big water change thru a cycle,

Having all the yellow water green algae is all part of the cycle. best just leave it and only have the lights on for a few hours a day.

i did a water change as the initial fill was seriously green. i had left it for the skimmer but it wasn't making enough impact. lights generally off all the time and just thinking about aquascape as i wait :)

You started 23 feb?

Should be cycled within 6 to 8 weeks from there.

You should have:

zero ammonia

zero Nitrite

and fairly high nitrate 30 to 60ppm.

Phosphate will start loading, so you should think about a phosphate remover at this point too.

Do a 50% water change and add a couple of hardy fish like damsels or chromis and wait another few weeks.

Craig

8/3 ammo .25

nitrite .5

10/3 ammo 0

nitrire 2.0

11/3 ammo 0

nitrite 3.5 did the w/c on the 2nd and also added some dead rock to the sump :-? good point cracker you remind me to test nitrate which i wasn't going to do till the end. not too sure about the damsels re whether i want them in first so they think they own the joint. keener on chromis but still unsure whether i want them long term using up capacity/room in this size tank. if it was a bit bigger i'd get a small school of them :)

• 2 weeks later...

:bounce:

start cycle 18 february...2 weeks later interupt to do 100% w/c

finally...... 24 march...nitrite down to .5 :bounce: total time 5 weeks and seems longer . best guess would be only 1-2 days to go to 0........ reward time 8)

cool, now the cyano and bad algae starts :lol:

so true, my tank has a nice cultavation of red slime everywhere :evil: ,

but seems to be retreating a little after a couple of nsw changes.

Wish i had not filled the tank with tap water :roll: nerver mind, live and learn.

what the???

Yeah True! It takes around 6 weeks to cycle rock. Water changes or not. Just ends up lower in phosphate if you keep the water clean by changing it periodically, which gives you a head start on beating future algae problems.

You could get some black mollies - I'm geussing they'd be indestructable. Dont know how long they take to aclimatise though. Might make for some good octo food hmmm...............

edit: you can aclimatise them with saltwater - one drop per second and in 6 - 12 hours fully converted. - and they eat algae :D