Making money from breeding.

Feelers

Just thinking about possibly breeding fish as a little earner and something to do. Way down the line I want to do some marine aquaculture of some kind, so the experience would be good.

Looking on trademe I saw oranda gold fish around the $170 each, :o 6 fish worth around $1000 in total seems to be good business. :lol:

So I'm, just interesed in your guys experiences - is it possible to make much money and what fish have you found to be good to breed?

I'm more interested in fish that are difficult to breed, I like a challenge and enjoy the technical aspect of fish keeping too. Perhaps fancy plecos or something like that....

Cheers for any suggestions 8)

Yeah the common agreement out there is you can't 'make' money off it, but you may make enough to break even. This would be if you're breeding a lot of discus per month too. It's best to breed for your own wants, e.g bigger school of tetras and go from there with any excess.

It's a numbers game. Years ago I used to breed and sell 50,000 fish a year. Sold mainly to one wholesaler. If you want to do it economically you have to breed a lot, then you have to sell a lot at a price that is better than a wholesaler can get them overseas and have them available when they want them and not when they have enough. It's a lot of fun but I wouldn't dream about getting rich and famous. You cannot sell at the back door if you want wholesalers to buy in quantities. Please keep your day job.

You will be lucky just to break even. To breed oranda you need good facilities ie alot of ponds and good filtrations. The ponds averaging 3000 ltrs each. Good filtration system to ease maintainance. Plenty of daphnia for the frys and home made food to grow them up. Don't expect them to grow by feeding just flakes and pellets.

Most important thing is good quality breeding stock. A couple of spawns will easily get you 2000-5000 frys if you know how to hand spawn them (stripping the eggs and sperms). You will have to start culling them from 2 weeks old to get rid of single tail fish (only keep the fan tail). Don't be greedy and try to grow every fry up without culling(that will be your first mistake)

Your fun begins when they are two weeks old and start dying. You will have to start treating them for flukes ( usually cause be overcrowding and water quality ).IME

This is not to put you off breeding but share the problem you might come come across and hopefully are well prepared to counter it.hth

Ron

There have been what looks like good quality orandas etc being sold on trade me at present for a good price. Goldfish are prolific breeders but from the thousands of eggs you would get very few top quality fish. Also few breeders are going to sell you their very best breeding fish unless suffering from concussion.

every 7-10 days

wow. that is amazing. goldfish can have say 500 a spawn in 7 days

livebearers can only have 30-50 spawn in every 28days.

so goldfish is relative easier to breed than livebearers? may be probably a lot more maintainance than livebearers.

I think if you're breaking even breeding on a non-commercial scale you're doing well. Now, if you're breeding fish in a tank that you'd be running anyway, like say bristlenose in a community tank for example then that's almost pure profit.:) But you're not going to make much money. Maybe enough to pay for some fish food occasionally. I think realistically people would be happier if they aim for that instead of trying for "a nice little earner"

I was thinking I might make some extra money out of selling live food, my LFS only has crickets and expensive blackworms, microworms/grindal worms are easy to culture and breed, and can be gotton though the mail, so do you think if I packaged some up nicely the LFS would buy some?

I havent tried it yet, but I think I might

Any ideas?