Trying a new skimmer

jetskisteve

Ah yes but for you money is no object is it? Just look how much you paid for yr Deltec!

This is not a "cheap" skimmer... only by price

I too love Deltec and will happily sell you one ( for lots more cash than these)

This is true. My deltec put a pretty good dent in my wallet. However, my point was that I spent at least the cost of the deltec and then some messing around thinking that I could get by without having to bite the bullet. I eventually realized that I wasn't getting close to the performace of the deltec, and thus paid the price. I like my deltec so much that I will be buying another ap902 to run dual with the new tank.

I was just worried or may have taken your statement wrong in that I thought you were comparing the performance of this particular knock-off to the performance of a Deltec, and thus the extra price of the Deltec is not warranted. I obviously can't say for certain, but find it very hard to believe given all my previous efforts.

I don't want to give the impression that everyone needs the "best" skimmer. There is another thread going on simultaneously on that point already. For my method/husbandry, I needed the best possible and thus bought what I think is the best, i.e. Deltec.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I'm interested in - if some knockoff company rips appart a deltec and copies it exactly, the end product would obviously work exactly the same (assuming the pump/needlewheel is the same too).

The question is how much difference is there between the two? You'd be hard pressed to geuss which was which from pics.

Has deltec ever sued anyone for copying them?

Also it takes precision to copy a product like a skimmer. Chamber diameters height, throat diameter, water entry angle, pump position, venturi design, needle wheel design and material, etc

China is about mass production. Any of these critical parameters can be compromised in order to streamline the mass production process.

Also patents are useless unless you can afford to defend them.

Layton

Am not going to post the price as the thread is not about selling them just the run down on how they perform.

the aquabee pump used is EXACTLY the same, and the needle wheel!

You're the one that brought up the money aspect:

Ah yes but for you money is no object is it? Just look how much you paid for yr Deltec!

Given this statement, I was just curious as to how much "cheaper" (alluded to in $$ by you and assumed in quality by others) it is (in terms of $$)?

China is about mass production. Any of these critical parameters can be compromised in order to streamline the mass production process.

Come on layton China Makes an enormous range of products from crap to some of the best you can get, it depends on who the company is owned by.

Plastics are one of the easiest things to copy and is one of there biggist industries.

The only way to compare prices would be to have the cost of buying them from the manufacturer, because the price would most likely be over inflated on the copy despite how little it cost the importer.

It also depends on how many distributors it has been throw before it gets to the customer.

My point was that what appear to be subtle details, can have dramatic effects on skimmer efficiency, and that in the process of copying, some of these details may be overlooked, or compromised to make it easier to mass produce.

Layton

most important/subtle detail would be the'' Deltec'' sticker...

Hahahahahaha. I rekkon the DelTec sticker on my skimmer is worth over $500.00! If I could go back in time my skimming money would be elsewhere.

Pie

Yeah I agree. I think the skimmer manifacturers want people to belive that its important that they are all wind tunnel tested etc. The bottom line is the amount of gunk that gets pulled per interval thats more important.

Its still important to use quality pumps however, plastic is plastic.

Pie