Sick guppies :-(

Nic G

Hey everyone,

Can someone help me? Some of our guppies look a bit off colour. It's only the little ones, and only some of the little ones at that. It's only ones we've bred, so we were wondering if it's something genetic? :-?

Their fins are all clamped and pointy looking, other than that they seem okay - eating and everything. But obviously something's not right. Water changes have been done, so don't think it's that.

It's affecting some of the little ones in both tanks (we have boys in one, girls in the other) but like I said, so far the bigger ones are fine!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I figure someone will likely have had a similar experience!

Thanks in advance! :)

Just been reading some other threads... Would it have anything to do with the filter media?? We have an external filter, a Fluval 204, the media consists of the carbon and bio balls that came with it, and filter wool.

Could the carbon be creating problems? Should I take it out? We changed it the other day when we noticed the fish weren't looking so good, I think the other one had been left in a bit long though. What happens when you don't change it often enough??

I have had this problem and still have this problem. Some of it is down to genetics (natures way). But what I have found to work is treating them with Malachite Green. The instructions on there say raise the temp to 28*C and add one drop per ltr of tank water. I did this and went 6 months with out another out break but one of my female guppies that didn't look to well just before she had her fry, all the fry are showing pin tail which eventually moves up the body. They swim around and do their normal thing of hunting and eating untill eventually it gets the better of them and die.

You could try (if you have room and tank space) put your fry into another tank and raise the temp to 28*C. I had this in my fry tank and never had the problem show up.

Thats from my experience. Hope it helps a little.

Cheers

Thank you very much Penejane, that's exactly what's happening to them!!!! Our babies are in with adults (males in one tank, females in the other). Would I need to treat the whole tank that they're in, just in case the adults get something off them???

Well personaly I have never had it affect my adults, only my fry thats why I went through great efforts to seperate the fry from the adults or catch the female due to drop in a breeding trap and then transfer the fry to the other tank which was treated seperately. You could add it to your current tanks but remove/cull all thoes that are currently affected and leave only the healthy ones to be treated. I had to do treatment for about a week before things settled down.

Hopefully with your next couple of drops of fry it will help prevent the pin/needle tail in your fry :D

Cheers

its like clamped fins only that they never unclamp them ever. It gets to the point where the tail and side fins look like "<" and eventually it dissapears. Normaly after this happens the fish then looks as if it is strugling to keep up with the rest and its just cruel to let them carry on like that.

I have had clamped fins with the adults but it never got to pin tail.