My Discus Spawned!

Luke*

After 16 months of daily 50%+ water changes finally out of the blue 2 out of my 5 large adult discus decide to spawn. The clutch is currently around 30 and they laid precariously on the heater. At first the male ate them but after some food he then clicked into parental mode and 52 hours later they are still being good parents taking turns guarding them. The fry will probably get eaten but we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

The female laying eggs and the male watching:

Discusbreed-007.jpg

The male doing a good job guarding:

Discusbreed-009.jpg

Yesss tis very exciting :D Neat to see their instinctive parental skills kick in. Yes I was going to bed last night (late) and looked in and I saw these tiny lil black bodies with tails sticking to the heater!! That was really cool and proves that I have a definite male and female. The parents cleverly moved them up the heater too, away from the heating coils where they would otherwise cook. There is about 10 and Mum and Dad have moved them to the filter intake now (luckily with a sponge prefilter on it so they don't get sucked up).

Really cool to see the Mum last night she picked up a baby as it fell from the heater and carefully spat it back on. They took turns guarding the eggs but now both of them are full time babysitting which is hard work involving intently staring at them lol.

Hey Ronnie what did you mean about saving the fry if the parents are good? From the timelines I have read they have been exact to the hour so far (hatch after 55 hours, free swimming the next 24 hours) so by my calculation they should be free swimming then which I think will be the most dangerous time for them due to the other discus in the tank.

Will keep ya posted

The wrigglers won't be free swimming until about 72 hours after hatching. They have big yolk sacs to devour before trying to move around :) Mom and Dad will do the best to protect the youngsters but a larger/quicker fish will make an easy meal of them if given a chance. Good luck and remember - if this clutch doesn't work out, you have 13-14 more chances to go. They spawn once a week almost like clockwork.

Got home yesterday from work at 7:30pm and they had disappeared. Cause of death likely eaten but could've been sucked into filter too I suppose. Don't know if parents or other fish ate them. Ah well.....time to play the waiting game till next time and hope I can get the male to choose a different female (as the one he bred with had pointed fins top and bottom)

• 1 month later...
The wrigglers won't be free swimming until about 72 hours after hatching. They have big yolk sacs to devour before trying to move around :) Mom and Dad will do the best to protect the youngsters but a larger/quicker fish will make an easy meal of them if given a chance. Good luck and remember - if this clutch doesn't work out, you have 13-14 more chances to go. They spawn once a week almost like clockwork.

Hi - why is it limited to 13-14 more goes? Do they stop breeding after that ?