Power cut

PETEYPLECO

Yep sure enough, one dead shark. The other fish look and are acting okay though. Did a substantial water change (30ltrs out of 160 odd) incase of "mini cycle" happening and a big gravel vac.

I dont have a ammonia or nitrate/nitrite kit yet (on my list of things to buy) so I cant tell what is going on there but PH is down to 6.4. Ive added some white spot treatment to perhaps kill of any nasties.

We only got tiny micro cuts - sub second. There was one outage for about 5 seconds but thats it.

I have my tank on a UPS with 2 days of backup batteries with the file-server running and 4 days if it's switched off. The UPS cost $750 to set up and I got the batteries for free (rejects from work - 12 x 150AH 12V configured as 300AH at 72V). The $750 is about the same as replacing 3 adult discus of which I have 17 in the tank along with 150 neons, 50 black neons, 20 SAE's and various other fishes. It would cost 5x the $750 I paid for the UPS to replace the fish, not to mention the ones that can't be replaced.

Another option is a cheapie Genset from Mitre10 or Repco. A 650-750 Watt Geni is only $199. It won't last very long (heard of them crapping out after only a few days) but they'll do the job during most long power cuts. It's pretty rare for the power to be off for more than 8 hours.

I know I've asked questions about what to do when power goes out...and there is lots posted here...

Do you think it could be good...or is it already and done & I haven't seen it...to do a...is it a "sticky" explaining/recommending what to do when power goes out??? Just a suggestion to the wise ones :P That way it would be all in one spot so people could review it rather than searching...what do you think?

Hey Feelers the Consumers Institute would likely refer to the terms and conditions of your retailer, which I assume in all cases would be that power supply is not guaranteed 100% of the time. They should pay out for faults of their own like disconnecting wrong property anything else would fall under the non guarantee of continuous supply. As Warren says the power isn't usually out for very long so isn't much of a problem. Just a note for those with hang on the back filters (HOBs) you may need to add water to the actual unit as it can siphon out into the tank when the power goes off and some aren't powerful enough to start going again when the power is restored.

It is the filters that are the problem if too many bacteria die off - and they start to do so after 20 minutes.

I don't understand...if you leave the filters as they are...ah...in the tank water that is remaining inside the filter unit...why does the bacteria start to die so fast?

Luke, you said

The bacteria die more from lack of oxygen than temperature as it cools slowly.

Is the lack of oxygen caused by non-movement of the water through the filters? Also, I didn't know that adding water that is too cold, could kill the bacteria?

That's right Caper, they need the water movement - trapped as they are in a small container.

Bacteria are living organisms too. You wouldn't like to be suddenly dunked in cold water would you? A person with a weak heart or something could die from a shock like that. :wink:

OK...so beginning to understand...makes since, movement-oxygen, helps keep bacteria alive!

So, I understand about keeping tanks warm (blankets), water changes to keep ammonia down!

If there is any indication that power is going to be off for bit of time, should you take some water out of tank so that you can put the filters in and squish them around, would this help keep bacteria alive???? Or would that be useless?

I have seen battery operated airpumps around, you could put the media in a bucket with theh airstone under it to keep movement going thru it.

I get the long extension cable out to the car and into the inverter if I think it was going to be a long powercut.

Unfortunatly whenever I have called up for an update they have said they had no info, so I have hooked all the filters upand then about 10 mins later the powers come back on.

Generally speaking most of us are lucky so when we do have power cuts, they aren't very long. You can get battery operated airpumps.

Don't think swishing them about in a bucket is worth the effort Caper. Only some of the bacteria die, most survives, so better to leave it undisturbed until the power comes back on.

I just unplug the cannisters after about an hour of no power so when it comes back on I drain all the water out of them and plug them back in. I don't want any nasty water from in the filters going into the tank when the power comes back on. I don't worry about the loss of bacteria otherwise, there's going to be as much if not more in the tank than in the filters.

I've hear of the battery operated pumps as well, but can't get them here. I was in Halifax one time but they had none in stock.

That's important to remember isn't it Ira, before starting the filter back up to empty the water that was sitting in it. I've been lucky so far only one power outage since I had the tanks but forgot to empty the water in the filter till I was reading a post that Caryl had posted!

So, do you all think that a "sticky" if that's the right spot...about power outages would be a good idea????