NSW from Tapakuna boat ramp contains Ammonia!

speed

I'm not too sure if anyone has tested the NSW from Taka but i had. Couple of days ago i went there just before high tide to grab couple of buckets of NSW and when i did an ammonia test on the water. It contains 0.25ppm of NH3. NO2 = 0, NO3 = 0.

I'm quite stunned! I thought my NH3 kit was screwed but then i tested my tank water and it showed 0. Today i went there again during high tide and did a test on the water and found that it was close to 0.50ppm though the water didn't look as clean as it was the other day.

Another way to get a surprise is to check out what's in artificial salt. All the brands have some major discrepencies in certain elements from what is found in NSW.

Not really a surprise, it's common knowledge. But at least you know what those discrepancies are and that they are relatively consistent (until formulas change etc.)

NSW could have anything in it, and that could change on a daily basis. Plus it has "life" in it.

Layton

I very much doubt you know what those discrepancies are. If you did you would be less likely to knock NSW. In addition they are not consistant.

For example, here is a graph of how some ASW salts measured up for potassium, against NSW.

Potassium has recently been discovered to be important to sps growth and colour.

k.gif

So what salt would you guys reccommend as the best? Or perhaps the best value for money?

I am unsure what I'm gonna do for water changes, I spose for my needs its not really that important. Layton I dont spose you know if uni's saltwater is any good? (I'm geussing its likely to be crap.)

Pasted this from a study on ASW salts I read a while ago. Makes you wonder why people knock NSW. Interesting........

Oceanic Sea Salt has abnormally high levels of Aluminum, Manganese, Nickel and Zinc. It also has a Strontium deficiency, but is otherwise similar to the other salts. Some type of metal contamination seems a possibility.

Bio-Sea MarineMix has unusually high levels of Aluminum and Vanadium.

Crystal Sea MarineMix has high levels of Antimony, Boron, Lithium, Lead, Palladium, and Titanium. Like Oceanic, it is also deficient in Strontium.

Instant Ocean, Crystal Sea MarineMix and Crystal Sea Bio-Assay all mix to an unnaturally high pH. A major water change followed by the addition of kalkwasser or the rapid addition of a buffer additive could create an undesirable pH peak.

AquaMedic Sea Salt has Barium levels roughly double the other salts, as well as notably high Bismuth, Cobalt, Lead, Selenium and Titanium.

Omega Sea Marine Salt has the highest levels of Copper, Chromium, and Arsenic of all the salts tested. Its Vanadium levels are similar to Bio-Sea MarineMix.

Tropic Marin Sea Salt has high Copper and ties with Omega Sea for the highest Chromium levels.

Instant Ocean has the highest Titanium level. Its Aluminum level is also high, but less than half of the highest salt mix (Oceanic).

Kent Marine Sea Salt shares the Aluminum levels of Instant Ocean and Crystal Sea Bio-Assay, it is high, but less than half of the worst level for that element. Its Antimony and Chromium levels are also high.

Crystal Sea Bio-Assay has the highest Lithium and Nickel levels of any salt tested. It shares the moderately high Aluminum levels of Instant Ocean and Kent Marine, and also matches Kent Marine in high Antimony and Chromium.

So what salt would you guys reccommend as the best? Or perhaps the best value for money?

I am unsure what I'm gonna do for water changes, I spose for my needs its not really that important. Layton I dont spose you know if uni's saltwater is any good? (I'm geussing its likely to be crap.)

Instant ocean is considered one of the better ones. I use it or Red Sea.

Dunno about the uni's saltwater supply. I guess it depends where the get it, and what they do to it once they have it.

Potassium has recently been discovered to be important to sps growth and colour.

:lol: by Korallen Zucht? They are more than happy to help you solve this problem by selling you a little bottle of it for the low low price of 35 euro, with contents valuing a fraction of a cent. ;-)

Layton

Instant ocean is considered one of the better ones. I use it or Red Sea.

Layton

Yes for the average tank it's one of the best for those who must go ASW. Still a number of concerning things about it though, compared to Natural Seawater.