Plant eaters

Phatmatt

Hi everyone long time since my last post,

Need some help with what to add to my tank. Tank size is 60L I currently have 6 platties(2 black, 1 black and white, 2 red/orange and one black and orange), 1 zebra cory and 1 pleco.

I had two cobalt blue gourami in there aswell, they where bought from the same LFS, from the same tank, but when in mine they just chased each other till one died, the other didnot survive the house moving.

Anyway I want to put some thing else in there, the plants grow so well I have to regularly trim them so I was thinking something that eats plants. I have read the silver dollars will just destroy them all so my question is,

What other plant eating fish are there out there?

I also Have a 32L with two Serpae Tetras in there, My angels of nearly two years also didnt survive the move. Any suggestions I havent made my mind up yet on this one.

You might not have much luck using fish to keep your plants down, they will tend to pick on their favourate plant and ignore the others till it is gone, or will just destroy the whole lot. Are you using CO2 and/or fertilsers? I was for a long time before I realized I was adding stuff to make the plants grow and then having to pull them all out, I don't know why I took me so long to figure it out but was a big doh moment when I did!

Hi there Phatmatt,

Hey, if you gonna be pulling those plants out of your tank, you can throw them this way, where you from?

So by the sounds of it you dont use ferts or CO2 hmmm so whats the secret to growing your plants then, I feed mine ferts and CO2 and they still struggle to look nice and lush.

Lynda

I have no idea, they cut off all the light to my tank and everything. i live in Hamiton, If I decide to pull them out I will let you know. I guess its not the worst problem to have.

I will try to find out what they are for you,

Perhaps its just a combo of light and temp, the light is duller than most tanks of smilar size (11-15w, I think). I prefer a light dull so it invites you closer to look, I also think they look a little bit more natural, Like you have just chopped a section out of the river.

Suphew is right about fish eating their favorite species of plant first til its gone - then the next favorite - then the next :roll: Silver dollars will do this - ie they eat your plants overnight down to the stalk - or more to the point they pull it to bits and take a wee bite out of every big piece they tear off - You can delay this by feeding them so they are not hungry but delay is the point. Besides that your tank is too small for them really although you could have say five or six baby ones in there if your prepared to go bigger within the next 6 months or so.